Saturday, 31 July 2010

A new recruit


A couple of years ago now I had this idea for an art quilt with the theme remembrance. I asked my other half if he could get me an old uniform or part of it. It had to be a uniform that had been worn and not just some dpm (Camo) material. He never did and I never got to make the art quilt.

Just before last Christmas I kept thinking I wanted to make a casual bag from an old army uniform. It kept nagging away at me. I'd make it reversible and roomy enough to use as a beach bag. So I asked my other half if he could get me something. Of course he said he could and I waited and waited; dropping the odd hint (sounds better than saying I nagged!)

When we had our Christmas together in New Year he filled a stocking with goodies and one was a uniform. So I made this bag. Whilst I took some pictures of the work in progress I forgot to take a picture of the finished bag until just now.


There are lots of things about this bag I don't like. I'm fussy - I can tell the bits that didn't work properly. I had no pattern just an idea in my head. Then after it was made I found out about Camp Follower Bags I so wish I'd come across Tia and her work before I made my bag!

Anyway, my niece saw the bag hanging on a door handle the other day and totally fell in love with it. I said I was going to use it when I went on holiday with her. She asked me to make her one too because she said: "If I saw this bag in a shop I'd want to buy it!" Only could she have something smaller and across the body? My other half had already mentioned he had a couple of old uniforms if I could use them some how.

This is what I made for her today!



This utilises one of the patch pockets. In fact this was made from one trouser leg. A skinny quarter and some scraps.







So Miss N. I hope you like this bag and I can't wait to go on holiday with you xx

2 comments:

  1. Nicely done! By the time my guy got done with the uniforms we didn't want to see them anymore. Almost 4 years later I'm thinking maybe I shoulda kept some...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks - it makes a nice neutral with more colourful fabrics. I used to hate camo and was never that keen on the whole uniform thing but my other half has changed all that. He's camo potty. I even decopatched a deskset for him in camo for Christmas and gave him fabric to cover the noticeboards in his room. I even located somewhere that did camo quilt cover sets for double beds for his room too. I said when you spend all day in camo why do you want camo stuff in the rest of your life? He says he's just "Living the dream".

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking the time to leave a comment. I read every single one and love hearing what you have to say. I do my best to reply to every comment. Although sometimes that's not possible. :-)