Saturday, 28 August 2010

Creativity is back on track.

I've started cutting out 5" squares from my Mendocino stash. I can get 20 squares from a fat quarter and that leaves me some long thin scraps I can use for other scrappy projects. I have some more Mendocino coming in a swap and 10 fat quarters from a different Etsy supplier. I'm hoping I'm going to have enough to make a decent sized quilt. Even though I've done the maths for each block, I've not worked out how many blocks I'll need. I like to fly-by-the-seat-of-my-pants in at least part of my projects :-)

Talking of scraps I've signed up for the Scrappy Pinchushion Swap over on Flickr. I'd missed round one, but have been admiring all the fun with this swap for some time. This swap appeals to me because it's not too *big* and it should be doable without huge pressure.

This morning I went into Oxford shopping. Oxford now has a Paperchase store back and I bought some goodies for stocking fillers. Yes, I'm already thinking about Christmas and I hope to get cracking on some quilted stockings shortly. I'll post some pictures, although as at least one recipient could be checking in, there will be lots of sneak peaks rather than finished items ;-) I am also planning a house warming pressie for one of my friends that is moving at the moment. (So many people I know are moving right now.) I think she twigged I'm making her something earlier when I sent a text earlier asking for some measurements. What I will say is it will be cheery, practical, fun and utilise scraps...

I have been reorganising my stash a lot of late - so I can access what I have easily, cut down on clutter and make sure I use what I have instead of keep storing it and buying new just because it's lovely and I *may* find a use for it one day. A big proportion of my stash is quite traditional and eclectic stuff that's caught my eye over the years and rather than destash, (because I still love a lot of it) I want to use it by mixing it with some of the more modern fabrics I'm buying these days. Of course this means I do need a system of fabric storage that works for me. I can't really justify a whole room given over to craft and sewing. Portable projects I like to do on the sofa or floor in front of the TV anyway. I have a small corner of the dinning room as a sewing/craft storage area and use the dining room table when I want to sew with my machine. I have been mixing in long kept scraps with newly acquired ones - including ones from remnant and scrap bag purchases recently. I keep them in this plastic box and love how they look like nice mini bolts.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for taking the time to leave a comment. I read every single one and love hearing what you have to say. I do my best to reply to every comment. Although sometimes that's not possible. :-)