Wednesday, 8 September 2010

Midweek catch up: Strawberry Fayre, Hexie Quilt, Scrappy Pincushion Swap and more!


Today my new season samples from Strawberry Fayre arrived. As a regular customer I get sent new samples every September. If you are in the UK and haven't checked out Strawberry Fayre you may well want to. Currently they are keeping their 2009/10 prices until the end of the year. They sell by the fat or skinny quarter and prices are £9.20 per metre for USA prints and £7.00 metre for USA plains. Whilst the prints are more traditional and probably unrecognisable by design, to all but the most fanatical fabric purchaser, they do offer a large range and you might find something to add to your stash. They do a huge range of plain fabric in every shade and value under the sun. The sample packs give you roughly an inch of all the fabrics they carry so you can easily see if they match existing fabrics in your stash or whether that plain you need is going to be just the right shade to co-ordinate with the project you're working on.

Whenever I see UK bloggers talk about fabric suppliers by mail I never see Strawberry Fayre mentioned. When I discovered them back in the early 1990's there was very little choice of quilt fabric suppliers by mail or Internet and I could get everything I needed from them as they do a range of suppliers for quilters - everything from threads to rotary blades and batting.

The first quilt I made from start to finish is made entirely with charm packs and fabrics I purchased from Strawberry Fayre(many attempts at quilts fell by the wayside - either because something went wrong, I got bored, or in some cases I started without thinking about how much fabric was needed and so ran out -!) It's fair to say this quilt is not to my taste now - it was made back in the 1990's. However, it's a practical cover up on nippy days and my niece used to play on it as a baby when she came to visit.


I know some of you are probably only sticking with this blog to find out what's happening with that hexie quilt I started a few months ago. Well I started quilting it before I went on holiday; it's sort of stalled while life has got in the way. Here's a not so good picture of my progress so far. You can sort of pick out my dodgy hand quilting design (the design is cool - it's my stitching that's dodgy.)


I have joined round 2 of The scrappy pin cushion swap over on Flickr and am working on two different designs I hope my partner will like. If they both work I'll send them both. That will save me the hassle of trying to pick the one she likes best (only to then find she secretly wishes I'd sent the other one instead.)

This will end up long and thin with some half inch hexies sewn on the reverse side. I've started sewing the hexies already.


I'm going to do a sort of log cabin with the owl on one side in the centre. Then either a hexie design on the reverse or maybe something completely different.


Yesterday was my brother's birthday. Only it felt more like it was mine when I found out I'd won my first ever prize in a blog giveaway. Ryan Walsh of I'm Just A Guy Who Quilts had a give away with lots of runner up prizes and I won a fat quarter bundle of Urban Circus donated by Karamat Fabrics I was doing a happy dance because I love this range of fabrics (so much so I had to go and buy some last week from another Etsy supplier. This sort of felt like serendipity in action because when I entered the give away I didn't know this was one of the prizes and I just know I can put this fabric to good use!

2 comments:

  1. That's a lot of goodness in one post! Congrats on the win.
    Your hexagon quilt continues to be gorgeous!

    ReplyDelete
  2. this reminds me to thank you for the heads up on Strawberry Fair the other month. I went and ordered the sample pack + print remnant bundle + xmas bundle and was very pleased. so i ordered another xmas for my mum, and a plain bundle. the plain one isn't as useful as the sizes are very random, but i'm very happy overall. and last week the free new sample pack came. thanks so much!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking the time to leave a comment. I read every single one and love hearing what you have to say. I do my best to reply to every comment. Although sometimes that's not possible. :-)