Tuesday, 12 October 2010

Travelling Tuesday: Uffington and Avebury

I've just got back from my first physio session on my ankle. Ann the physio was really good. She whizzed through a whole host of exercises that I now have to do as homework and explained lots of stuff about joints and ligaments and all the stuff that makes my foot, ankle and leg work. She zapped my ankle with some ultrasound and I have to go back in a few weeks time.

I feel a bit guilty that I haven't got anything new to show you creatively. Lets say I've been doing lots of research on Flickr and I've also been working on my hexie quilt. It is taking longer to quilt it than it did to cut over 1000 squares of fabric and papers (yes, I cut all my own) and then baste and sew them together! Hey ho.

I've decided therefore (any excuse eh?) that Tuesdays will become Travelling Tuesdays. So here are some pictures from a day trip a few years ago, that took in some interesting ancient sites.



Silbury Hill in Wiltshire. This Neolithic hill is the tallest prehistoric man-made hill in Europe and one of the largest in the world.



Avebury - most foreign tourists go to Stonehenge, although Avebury is just as an important site and along with several other sites in the Stonehenge group forms part of the World Heritage site.



I thought most of the stones looked like they were faces.



This is me outside The Red Lion at Avebury which I believe is the only pub to be situated inside one of these stone circles. It also claims to be extremely haunted.




At Uffington in the Vale of the White Horse is White Horse Hill, where there is a very ancient horse carved into the chalk hill. I used to visit here a lot as a child but hadn't been back as an adult. For a while I'm sure they stopped you standing on the head and eye of the horse because of potential damage. There are all kinds of legends about this place and it's supposed to be good luck to stand on the eye and make a wish.






1 comment:

  1. Cool trip! So wished that I'd been able to travel in your neck of the woods before coming back to the states!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking the time to leave a comment. I read every single one and love hearing what you have to say. I do my best to reply to every comment. Although sometimes that's not possible. :-)