Sunday, 13 February 2011

Scrappy Mug Rug Swap Round 3 - Process Explained.



You may remember me posting these pictures a few weeks back. This is the mug rug I made for round 3 of the scrappy mug rug swap over on Flickr.  I couldn't tell you the thinking behind it in case my partner stumbled across my blog and realised that I was making it for them.  However, by the miracles of speedy postal delivery (it's taken under a week for this to travel from England to the US) I can let you know that it's been recieved and was made for Natalie.

First off Natalie mentioned in her likes that she was liking the hexagonal or circular mug rugs she'd seen in previous swaps. She had also specified liking hexies and embroidery. I decided to English Paper Piece some diamonds to create a star, framed with more diamonds to make it a hexagon shape. I didn't want to lose any of the shape of the hexagon piecing when I bound it, so I decided to piece a border - that border would lend itself beautifully to some embroidery.

Natalie is a big William Morris fan.  I guess it's fitting that someone from Oxfordshire should be picked to be her partner because William Morris had lots of links with Oxford and lived at Kelmscott which is just on the borders of Oxfordshire and Gloucestershire.  I hadn't any William Morris fabric I could use in the design as most of his fabric reprinted over here is Decor weight so I've never bought any.  I decided instead to embroider one of his most famous quotes: "Have nothing in your house you do not know to be useful or believe to be beautiful".

The backing fabric is the nearest fabric I  had to an art Noveau type design (another thing Natalie likes) and the colour coordinated well with the fabrics I'd chosen for the front. In fact I picked fabric with a very 1930's feel to it as Natalie said she liked Art Deco too. Whilst these patterns aren't exactly Deco they do fit in with that era.

1 comment:

  1. That is so pretty! I love the fabric on the back!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking the time to leave a comment. I read every single one and love hearing what you have to say. I do my best to reply to every comment. Although sometimes that's not possible. :-)