Sunday, 27 March 2011

Sunny Sunday

Someone should tell the weather it's not May for another couple of months. Or maybe they should just keep quiet and let us enjoy this gorgeous weather. It's meant time spent outside in the garden; either working or relaxing with a book. I did however manage to finish this quilt I showed you the other day.


I was given a charm pack of Freebird by Momo for Moda for my birthday.   As luck would have it I had a couple of scraps of fabric from the same range - just enough to make a quilt this size (which I now can't remember the size of: only that I used a 45 x 60" wadding pack.)  I had already bought some Kona Chartreuse prior to the fabric diet I went on at the start of the year. This left me just to decide what to use for the back.  I knew it would involve buying some fabric, as apart from a metre of a Kona solid in Orange that I wanted to use some how, I had nothing else suitable.  I had a bit of a look online as I thought it would be fun to include some more Freebird.  I found some on sale and with a strip of the Kona orange (which I also used for the binding) to break up the two different patterns I ended up with this.


I think the top fabric really needs using in a big lump like this so you get the full design on show. Due to the cost of printed fabric over plain I don't normally back my quilts in patterned fabric. I think that might be going to change as I love this. I also like the idea of bands across the whole of the quilt so think the next quilt I make will be made up of strips of fabric. Hmmmm, maybe that's what I'll do with my little stash of Tuffed Tweets?

After cooking lunch for my Mum, I did a bit of work in the garden (more of the relaxing than working!) Then, my Mum and I went for a walk across the fields behind the house.  We mused on how many generations of people from my Mothers side of the family have walked across the fields just like we did.  I took lots of photos - which I won't bore you all with. At the bottom of the field directly behind our house is an area of trees and water known as The Spinney.  Violets and primroses were coming out and in a few months time there will be bluebells out here too. I even spotted some wild strawberries in flower here too.


In recent months there has been a lot of clearing of trees and shrubbery in The Spinney. One end of The Spinney had been the village rubbish tip in years gone by.  I guess years ago there weren't refuse collections and so items that couldn't be recycled or composted had to be deposited somewhere. The clearing of The Spinney has churned up some of the tip and as this photo shows it's obvious what this area was once used for:

I'm sure social archaeologists would find this area fascinating.  One lady told us who lives near here that she can remember there was  Morris Minor car dumped in there!  I couldn't investigate further because I could see a big hole or two in the ground. Whilst with the dirt and plants on top it might look stable you are in fact walking on years of accumulated rubbish and the ground is unlikely to be that solid underfoot.

So that was my Sunday.  I hope you had a good one too?  I was hoping to do some more sewing and try out some curved piecing. I think that might have to wait for another day.

4 comments:

  1. Your quilt is wonderful Jan, really zingy and springy!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hooray for the sunshine! Isn't it glorious? I like your little quilt, both back and front!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I LOVE your quilt!! The back with the orange is perfect!

    I miss the violets back in Germany....wonder if I could grow some here.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love the quilt and the backing IS fabulous!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking the time to leave a comment. I read every single one and love hearing what you have to say. I do my best to reply to every comment. Although sometimes that's not possible. :-)