Tuesday, 29 March 2011

Travelling Tuesday: Chesil Beach

I can't remember the last time I shared a little Tuesday Travelling with you. 


Amongst the haze in this photograph you can just make out the thin line of Chesil Beach in Dorset, England.  I got to visit here last year, when I went with a friend to stay with a cousin in Somerset.  


There is a bit of a climb up onto the beach and then down the other side if you want to reach the sea. The shingle is quite difficult to walk on.  They say that if a sailor washed up on the beaches in this part of Dorset he could tell where he'd washed up by the size and texture of the shingle.    There is something a bit eerie about this place.  It has an atmosphere that not all beaches do.



It was warm day for April, although I didn't notice a heat haze, there is definitely something going on in this shot. It makes for an almost oil painting like quality to the picture. 

Looking at these pictures makes me long for the seaside and a bit of coastal exploring.


4 comments:

Corinnea said...

Our beaches aren't quite that interesting but they are fun... hope over and see us!

gill said...

Great pictures!
I know what you mean about the atmosphere at Chesil - I haven't been for over 20 years!

Lynz said...

That's a very pretty beach! Looks like a great place to fly a kite - my particular favourite seaside activity!

Jessica said...

Those are beautiful!