Saturday, 9 April 2011

The Good Life?

At this time of the year, in this part of the world (South England), it's not expected to have it so hot we don shorts and vest tops. It's fair to say that us Brit's, on the whole, are not accustomed to spontaneous sunshine and as a result we're not a collective pretty sight with our pasty white skin and 'it is hot we can't be expected to look chic,' attitude to impromptu summer dressing. So maybe it's as well I've spent much of the day in the back garden planting up the veg beds.

My brother had shifted a tonne of topsoil the day before in order to fill the two beds he made me. I've been digging in compost to help improve the soil further.

Despite the balmy weather there is still a frost risk, so some tender seeds and plants can't go out yet. So far I've stuck to veggies that can tolerate a bit of cold.

At the moment the biggest risk though, is the local pigeon population. They already visit my bird feeding station to decimate the food put out for the prettier birds.

It may be hard work, but it's satisfying work. Messing about in the garden certainly is: "The Good Life" to me.

3 comments:

  1. Very cool! How nice of your brother to help you out. Slowly but surely my garden is filling out.

    ReplyDelete
  2. So pretty! I love getting out gardening... which reminds me I need to go water my plants... if they aren't dead after being ignored all weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh yes this is definitely the right way to life as we do here in Australia with our huge vegi garden.
    Thanks for visiting and entering my giveaway. Your header quilt is just gorgeous - so much love in that piece!
    And all the best of luck sweetie,
    Hugs,
    Suzy

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking the time to leave a comment. I read every single one and love hearing what you have to say. I do my best to reply to every comment. Although sometimes that's not possible. :-)