Thursday, 19 May 2011

Bloggers Quilt Festival: Rainbow Hexie Quilt

Hi, My name is Jan and I blog at Isisjem - the Creative Life and Times.  I am getting right under the wire with this post. For a few days I've been checking out lots of entries to the bloggers quilt festival and I have been humming and hawing over whether to enter or not.  However, there is a quilt I've made that is very precious to me and some of my regular followers will know exactly which one I mean.  And I'd love to share it with you all. 

This is the quilt that brought me back to quilting after what felt like a very long hiatus.  It all started one morning while I was surfing on flickr and I came across this group.  I have always been attracted to English Paper Piecing for its versatility and ease to make just about anywhere. Having seen all the lovely hexies that were being basted in the group I decided to pull out my own fabric and see how many charms I could create. Within in a few hours I was not only hooked on making hexies, but completely out of different fabrics. My mission for the next few months was to acquire new fabric scraps; mainly from swapping with other group members.  An author friend of mine, who is a quilter, even heard what I was doing and sent some along.  As I added more hexies the quilt was becoming more and more special to me as it reflected scraps of treasured fabrics from stashes all over the world.

I lost count of all the hexies I made for this quilt.  There are well over 1000 1" hexies and then some. I chose not to bind this quilt in a conventional way but added a ring of one inch hexies on the reverse edge. 


Now there is a secret about this quilt that I don't think I've publically revealed anywhere else.  I'm normally a bit random with projects like this (ie when I've just started making without a definite plan). However, for this quilt I decided early on to break from my usual randomness and go for a rainbow design.  Readers that saw this post, will now know that The Wizard of Oz has special significance to me.  Everyone knows rainbows figure heavily in this story, so when I was told of an old tradition to include at least one duplicate fabric in a charm quilt, as a little puzzle for people to spot, I decided to fussy cut wizard of oz characters from some fabric I had and 'hide' these amongst the quilt. 





If someone had told me I'd ever take on a project of this magnitude (it's entirely hand sewn). I'd have doubted my ability to ever get it finished. As it turned out it has been one of the quickest quilts to make because it was just so fun! 

Now, I'm off to check out even more quilts in the wonderful quilt festival. Thank you so much for taking the trouble to visit my blog and see my quilt.  If you want to check out more quilts in this springs festival please pop along by clicking the button below. 


Amy's Creative Side

19 comments:

  1. Good to learn a little bit more about this beauty!

    ReplyDelete
  2. wow wow wow wow wow wow wowowowowowowowow! what a treasure!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I loved reading the story about this beautiful quilt! How fun that you put some hidden treasures in with the 'normal' fabrics, I love that!

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a great quilt! Really beautiful! I am still checking all the entries and it is such an inspiration:)

    ReplyDelete
  5. So impressed! I love hexies, but I don't think I'd ever have the patience to do something so big out of 1" ones.

    ReplyDelete
  6. So wonderful! I love it even more now! Thanks for sharing the secret.

    Man I need to work on mine!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Holy Moley that is super awesome!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. unreal! i can't even imagine doing all that. i made 2 hexy place mats and it about drove me nuts! this is AMAZING!!! so awesome

    ReplyDelete
  9. I love the quilt and the cute little Wizard of Oz hexies.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Such a beautiful quilt! I love the way you have hidden the characters in there too. :o)

    ReplyDelete
  11. What an amazing quilt! So gorgeous and I love the story behind you making it. Clever idea hiding images from Oz in the design. :o)

    ReplyDelete
  12. Fantastic!I love your quilt!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Fantastic!I love your quilt!

    ReplyDelete
  14. I absolutely loved this quilt the first time I saw it (when I was stalking your blog for the pincushion swap). It is so much the kind of quilt that I would make and would want to make and it is just beautiful. Now that I've read about your process and some of the special things about it, I can just say "Wow!"

    ReplyDelete
  15. Your Quilt is Amazing!
    I've started making 1" hexagons. Now I just need enough so I can start to put it together.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking the time to leave a comment. I read every single one and love hearing what you have to say. I do my best to reply to every comment. Although sometimes that's not possible. :-)