Friday, 20 May 2011

Brit Quilt Swap: The Making Begins

I have joined up with a talented group of Brit Quilters for the Brit Quilt Swap.  I confess I am not usually the sort of person who sketches out a design because I hold images in my head. Normally the most I might do is jot down some sizes. It's just the way I work. This swap is a secret swap. We know who we are making for but not who is making for us.  I think a big part of the fun in flickr swaps is the show and tell element, with plenty of sneaky peeks to whet our partners appetite.  So this is the design I hastily sketched out for my mini quilt. 

I plan on a scrappy squares background with a little doggie in a hot air balloon.  I've already modified the design in my head because the doggie is really in the hot air balloon because a naughty birdie has stolen the doggies bone and the doggie wants to get it back!  So you have to imagine a birdie and a bone - ok?

I intend sashing the design in either white or a neutral - maybe some linen and then doing a scrappy postage stamp border and then some more sashing to match that already done.  Then I'll pick a fun pattern for the binding. I haven't thought very far about the back. Although I have plans for the label so that might influence what I do on the back.


I have already started on the background, but a couple of the greens are not doing it for me so I may alter a few or take the greens out all together and just use more blues.  I hope to get some more work done on this over the weekend.  It's so good to be able to get my fabric out again and play.

2 comments:

  1. I love seeing your process. I am trying to sketch out more of my ideas too. It does help in some cases!! Your idea is very cute and I can't wait to see it done.

    ReplyDelete
  2. love it! Can't wait to see how it turns out!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking the time to leave a comment. I read every single one and love hearing what you have to say. I do my best to reply to every comment. Although sometimes that's not possible. :-)