Sunday, 22 May 2011

Salcey and Sewing!

Some of you may recall me telling you about Book Crossing in this post?  Yesterday I went to a Book Crossing meet up at Salcey Forest which is between Northampton and Milton Keynes.  We had lunch on arrival, perused the books that had been left on the book table and then took the remainder off into the forest for a release walk.  It's always lovely to catch up with friends and talk about books and snag a few more for our To Be Read piles mountains.  One of my favourite parts is the release walk as it takes in Elephant Walk named after the Elephants which were stranded here during World War 2 .  On the walk you pass Elephant Pond, where the elephants used to go after a hard days work in the forest, and onto Tree Top Way; which is a canopy walk way that leads 20 metres up into the trees.  On a clear day there are views across Northampton and the surrounding countryside. 







After the release walk it was back for the book swap game. I couldn't begin to explain the rules but it's lots of fun.  Then it was time to make the journey home - loaded up with books.  It wouldn't be a meet up without gaining a few book goodies.


Today I've spent some time just chilling and reading. Of course I've been sewing too!  This is how far I've got with my design for the Brit Quilt Swap. I'm at that stage where I'm really not sure if it's doing it for me. I often always hit this stage when I'm making for someone else.



I don't want to give too much away about the thinking behind this one. What I will say is the naughty bird in the top right corner has stolen the dogs bone (you could tell that blob was a dog even sans eyes and nose, right?) and the dog not being able to fly, has had to get a hot air balloon in order to chase after the birdie.  I still have some detailing to add. I may get on with cutting squares for the postage stamp part of this quilt first though.

I hope you all had good weekends!

3 comments:

  1. Thank you for joining in my giveaway! The book crossing looks like a lot of fun - I always wondered how it all worked.

    Pomona x

    ReplyDelete
  2. That walk through the woods looks amazing! Glad you had a fun swap.

    The quilt is coming along nicely. I'm impressed!

    ReplyDelete
  3. WOW I want to go for a walk there! It looks spectacular!
    I like the quilt I can't wait to see the finished product!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking the time to leave a comment. I read every single one and love hearing what you have to say. I do my best to reply to every comment. Although sometimes that's not possible. :-)