Sunday, 8 May 2011

There's no place like home...

It has been a challenging week to say the least. So much seems to have happened and not all of it has been good. Stuff like my other half being admitted to hospital miles away from me, where he still is now.  Then having my kitchen units taken out and the plaster behind hacked off to check on a damp issue have rated amongst the lows. Of course there has been highs too. A lovely meal at a friends in her woodland hideaway on Friday, followed by a trip to a local vineyard, where there was an art weeks exhibition, has rated amongst the highs.
Another high came yesterday. I spent most of the day cleaning and sorting out the kitchen, I saw the postman come up the path, but had my head down cleaning and didn't check on my mail until much later in the day. So imagine my delight when this wonderful pincushion and some lovely extras arrived. This was made for me by Janet CR in round 3 of The Scrappy Pincushion Swap. We had all thought this was lost in transit as it was posted a couple of months ago. Yet it made it all the way from Canada to the UK and was definitely worth the wait!

Round 3 of the swap there had been discussions about our favourite films and how they could be translated into a pin cushion.   The Wizard of Oz has special significance for me. As a child I loved to watch this film - it tended to be on the week before Christmas if not on Christmas Day itself and I just LOVED it.  Then when I was 11 and in my final year at Primary School they announced there would be a school play - The Wizard of Oz, and auditions for the main parts would be open to the oldest children. A friend had done lots of local amateur dramatics and she had pretty much been told she had the part of Dorothy.  All those interested in playing the part had to sing a solo for the audition. I learnt the words to "Somewhere over the Rainbow" and thought if I was lucky I might get cast as the scarecrow.  However, as you can see below I got the lead and ended up having to sing two solos and learn 16 scenes worth of lines. 


It's one of my most treasured memories and my old headmaster still calls me 'Dorothy' if he sees me in the street. 

4 comments:

  1. What a lovely and thoughtful pincushion, a great prompt of a happy memory every time you look at it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I hope your husband is ok.
    Lovely story, how cute are you as Dorothy!

    ReplyDelete
  3. So glad you received the pincushion in the end :) I hope your other half will soon be on the mend and that you don't get too stressed out worrying about him. x

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Jan, I'm so happy to hear that the Wizard of Oz has special meaning for you and so the pin cushion is the right choice. I wasn't sure - I guess mostly because I just picked a movie because they asked me to, not because it was special. After waiting half a century to get it (well maybe not quite that long) you deserve something special. I hope your husband it better by now. Thoughts and prayers for you.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking the time to leave a comment. I read every single one and love hearing what you have to say. I do my best to reply to every comment. Although sometimes that's not possible. :-)