Saturday, 4 June 2011

Because it's not my birthday.

Inspirational

For as long as I can remember I've wished my birthday was in June or one of the summer months rather than January. A birthday I can celebrate in hot weather, outdoors and wearing shorts, a vest and flip flops.  A birthday that isn't in the middle of winter, four weeks after Christmas when everyone is depressed about the weather and how much they spent and ate over Christmas.  It has come as no consolation, when I'm told that if I lived in Australia, then my real birthday would be in the middle of summer. I live in England and have never been fortunate enough to visit Australia. 

However, it's occurred to me recently there is another good reason why I'd like my birthday round about now. Normally when people ask me what I'd like for my birthday in the way of gifts. My mind goes blank. I've had what I've wanted for Christmas four weeks previously and can never think of things I want for my birthday. Now, 6 months, on I could write a list that fills pages. Books I need on my bookshelf, foodstuffs and equipment I'd love in my kitchen. Stuff I'd like in the garden and then there are the clothes, handbags, jewellery, fabric and fripperies I'd like because they are frivolous and make me smile.

Alas, it is not my birthday for another 6 months. So I did what any girl like me would do and bought myself a gift. A book I'd had my eye on since I'd first heard of it. Thanks to Amazon and Royal Mail it arrived today. It's everything I hoped it would be. If you want me I'll be reading and dreaming of projects to come...

3 comments:

  1. I've seen this book around blogland - I'd be interested to hear your opinion of it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I treated myself to this book too. I've yet to make anything from it per my usual... but the book is beautifully written and one day I will get something done from it! What are you going to make first?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey I do live in Australia and my birthday is 24th December... doesn't make much difference that it's summer, a Christmas birthday is still crap :)

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking the time to leave a comment. I read every single one and love hearing what you have to say. I do my best to reply to every comment. Although sometimes that's not possible. :-)