Monday, 13 June 2011

New Shoes!

Come on summer!

Don't you love new shoes?

I've been shopping today to buy a few extra bits for my summer/holiday wardrobe. At the moment June seems to have swapped weather with April. It's meant lots of shops have good deals on summer clothing and footwear. This is my fourth pair of Birkenstocks. Apart from one pair, all of them have been bought at a reduced price at various TKMaxx stores.  They saved my feet last summer holiday when I sprained my ankle, as they were the most comfortable and supportive shoes I had with me.

These were bought in Cowley which is a small residential and industrial district just outside Oxford, which is a few miles up the road from me. In the same vein as yesterday, where I shared a few facts about me, here are a couple of facts about Cowley. 

1. Cowley is home to the BMW car plant that produces the Mini.  As it exports cars to around 90 different countries, the chances are wherever you are in the world, if you drive a mini it's been made at the Cowley plant.

2. Cowley is not a 'well heeled' area like a lot of Oxford city. It's bordered by Blackbird Leys and Greater Leys Estates. Blackbird Leys is one of the largest estates in Europe. Whilst Oxfordshire is the most expensive place to live outside of London, Blackbird Leys homes some of the poorest residents in the county.

3. The shopping centre in Cowley centre is named Templar's Square. Probably named for the links Cowley - in particular the Temple Cowley area - had with The Knights Templar, who were gifted most of the land in the Cowley area back in the 12th Century.

4 comments:

  1. Pretty shoes! I need to get some of them for summer too :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love me some birks!

    I have a 5 year old mini! Nice to know about her home town!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I remember staying in the Cowley Road when I was about 18 - my boyfriend was up at Oxford, and rented a house there. It seemed a very long walk from the town centre - but maybe my memory is playing tricks!

    Pomona x

    ReplyDelete
  4. Very cool. We grew up next to where Porsche and Mercedes were originally made ...they might be made other places too now I don't keep up with that... their museums were/are really cool !

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking the time to leave a comment. I read every single one and love hearing what you have to say. I do my best to reply to every comment. Although sometimes that's not possible. :-)