Friday, 3 June 2011

Tweet Tweet! The early bird catches the worm?


A few months ago the online quilt stores seemed full of Tufted Tweets. So much so, I have to say it didn't immediately grab me. I put this down to seeing it everywhere and I felt over it before I'd had any of it.  I felt completely different about Laurie Wisbrun's other line Urban Circus: I couldn't wait to get my hands on some. In fact just as I'd placed an order, I won more in a giveaway too! However, as soon as I purchased some Tufted Tweets in a Sale, I loved it so much I wanted to get more and managed to score quite a few of the designs in the range - all on sale!  Tonight I've been cutting into it in order to start on a small lap/baby sized quilt. 

Those of a nervous disposition should look away now.  Why? Well because I'm going to mention the 'C' - you know the word that most of us do not want to hear only a few days into June. But here goes. Christmas. More specifically this idea I've had to have as much of a hand made Christmas as I can.  Which if I stand any chance of achieving I need to be planning and starting on now. 

I am already in two minds about this because I know getting hand made stuff is not every one's idea of a good present. Some people (usually those not creatively minded at all) think home made is what you get when the person giving doesn't want to spend money on you. Of course this is not usually the case as when you take into account all the costs including your time you're often giving a far more expensive gift than a purchased one.  And with that in mind the last thing I want to do is spend time and money on people that would rather I just gave them a gift voucher or toiletries.

Now despite what I've just said about handmade gifts often costing more than a shop bought gifts, I'm also conscious of how much I already have in the way of fabrics and other crafting materials. Given that I've already invested in my 'stash' and I want to use it and enjoy using it. It could be that Christmas giving turns out cheaper to me because I'm using things that have already been paid for.  If I only use my 'stash' on myself, I'm going to end up buried under a tonne of quilts and a whole host of other small gift items.  It would also be quite liberating to free up some space because I've used up a lot of long hoarded materials - and not just fabric either!

And the real pleasure behind it all is to give people I care about something I've lovingly made just for them!

So I will give you some sneaky peeks of my progress and maybe I'll inspire some of you to do the same.

2 comments:

  1. I can't believe you just made me think about Christmas! I look forward to your progress and motivation!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have the same issue with giving handmade if I am at all worried the person wont appreciate the time and money I just buy something!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking the time to leave a comment. I read every single one and love hearing what you have to say. I do my best to reply to every comment. Although sometimes that's not possible. :-)