Thursday, 7 July 2011

Lacemakers do it on pillows

scan0010-ps 
Do you remember this post when I shared with you that I could make lace? Well last night I had some photo albums out, scanning a few pictures for a future project and I came across this one.  A few of you expressed an interest in this and so I thought I'd share this with you all.  I haven't forgotten and will blog about this more at a future date (when I can get ot my lace making stuff - which involves pulling out a big bedside chest so I can get under the bed.)

I was making a rainbow - very basic stitching using Perle thread (yes, the same stuff we now love to use for hand quilting!) for a birthday card for my mum.  This is Torchon Lace.  It's about the simplest pillow lace you can learn if you are a beginner.  There are only three basic stitches, although you can combine these in different ways to create different patterns such as 'spiders'.  I remember when I first learnt to do spiders I kept wanting to do spider 'heavy' patterns.

Even though you sometimes see pillows full of bobbins you work through them in a certain order - depending on the pattern. You use large hat/pins to section off areas you aren't working on. All bobbins are worked in pairs. I have tended to buy bobbins in pairs that look nice together. However, the bobbins don't always stay in the same pair when you are working.  I have quite a collection of bobbins which I'll get out and photograph one of these days. Each is a work of art. Some have hidden bits. I got a bit addicted to bobbins because they can be so beautiful. I got more addicted to the bobbins than I did to making lace lol.


3 comments:

  1. I'd love to see more of this!
    I learnt lace making in my 20's but I haven't done any for over 20 years!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I read about lacemaking when I was doing my PhD - the little girls who went to lace schools rather than academic school. Fascinating stuff!

    Pomona x

    ReplyDelete
  3. Very cool! I really should try the simple pattern sometime to say I did and not feel so badly about those bobbins I bought so long ago!! Post more about this anytime you feel like it please!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking the time to leave a comment. I read every single one and love hearing what you have to say. I do my best to reply to every comment. Although sometimes that's not possible. :-)