Wednesday, 13 July 2011

The one in which I scare myself...

365-193 12 July 2011

I have scared myself sewing wise a couple of times in the last few days.  The first time was in DQS 11 when I read this and realised that if Jo is doing the same design as me, only her diamonds are bigger and she will need 350 of them, then I will need more... Ok so maybe it's not that bad because the plan I had means they are only part of the design.

The second time was when I started cutting into my Pips and solids. If you read this post you will know that I find the maths associated with quilting particularly challenging. Therefore when I decided I was going to stick to simple 5" squares sewn together for my largest machined quilt to date, I knew I was not going to rely on working it all out on paper first.  I sort of had a rough idea, but it didn't allow for any seam allowances. So I made a test strip last night of the width of the quilt.  I would need far more squares than I'd first thought. I haven't cut into every bit of Pips I have, but as near as damn it. (I also had a slight rotary cutter accident cutting into some of it and have ruined some! shock! gasp! horror!) 

I think I'm about 100 squares short. I am toying with adding more solids or buying more pips or maybe just throwing a different range into the mix to spice things up even more because I am liking pips with that green... I'm kind of scared now I've visualised how big a twin pre-packed piece of wadding is.  It will be a challenge to baste and a challenge to quilt on my machine.

As I got into bed last night I even thought about just making it smaller. After all I have at least two quilts (one hand sewn) languishing in my WIP pile from years back because they are just too darn big to finish.  But how many Lap sized-and-under quilts does one house hold need? (I need friends and family to start having babies because baby sized are just so me!!!)  I've decided  I am going to feel the fear and do it anyway.

You may also remember a murmur or two about a give away for my 1st Blogiversary.  I had thought I'd make something and give that away. It's not really working at the moment because I er, haven't made anything. I have one item to throw into the give away and yesterday I ordered something else. So I hope next time I blog it will be for a giveaway!

3 comments:

  1. You will be proud of yourself for feeling the fear and doing it anyway! As always I look forward to seeing what you do!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Just last night I was making a simple log cabin block. ONE block. I think there are 11 pieces to it & all the sizes to cut were right there on my paper.
    I still managed to cut 2 strips too wide and 2 of them too narrow! Sheesh. But I perservered & I did get it done!
    So, I know you can do it too!!!

    And unless the fabric you "ruined" is cut into 1/4" pieces, it really isn't ruined - just ready to be in a different quilt! :D

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yay for pips! If you need ideas for other fabrics to mix in, check out Red Pepper Quilts--I know she has made at least one or two quilts w/ this line. Can't wait to see how it turns out! Use those squares that were ruined w/ your rotary cutter for your next hexie quilt. :)

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking the time to leave a comment. I read every single one and love hearing what you have to say. I do my best to reply to every comment. Although sometimes that's not possible. :-)