Friday, 1 July 2011

A week that's flown by...

Wow - where did the week go to? I can't believe it's almost a week since I last blogged.  I would like to be able to sit here and tell you about all the fabulous quilts I've been making, but this has been a sewing light week. I have these little breaks. I mull things over, I work on designs in my head. I do other stuff. Then I can get cracking with some serious making!

So what have I been doing you may well ask?  Well I got very distracted by this book:
Black and White

I know it was a big deal last summer and a film is coming out later on this year. But to start with I really wasn't sure I wanted to read this. I didn't really know what it was about and it didn't immediately jump up on my radar. Then a fellow book crosser traded me another book for it. A few weeks later at another meet up I won it in a round of the 'book swap game'. Something out there wanted me to read this and I'm so glad I did.  It's funny, it's moving. It tells the story of black maids and their rich white bosses. There are wonderful characters on both sides.

I also spent a very pleasant afternoon at Waterperry Gardens with my mum.  There is always something new to see there. If you want to see some more pictures of my trip they're in this flickr set here.

P1070697-ps

I've also spent some time in my garden which again has been having some lovely young feathered visitors.

Great Spotted Woodpecker

This is a juvenile Great Spotted Woodpecker.  It spent ages on my nut feeder. I took a few snaps (not easy through my windows as I've explained before).  They are normally timid creatures and I was really surprised that it spent so long on the feeder.  It returned a while later for almost as long and I even managed to sneak outside and take some pictures without disturbing it. Unfortunately the seed feeder was in the way so I couldn't get a clear shot!

For the last couple of days I've been crunching empty snail shells every time I walk on the paved areas in my garden. I've even heard the familiar tapping of a thrush at it's 'anvil'. Then tonight I managed to grab my camera and take some pictures through the window. (Not easy when the sun's right where you don't want it to be! Thank heavens for a little digital assistance!)
P1070977-ps

This is a young Song Thrush.  They're on the RSPB red list so I'm so pleased I can offer at least one a regular feed amongst my flower beds!

So how was your week? I hope you have a lovely weekend and hope I can show you some sewing soon ;-)









No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for taking the time to leave a comment. I read every single one and love hearing what you have to say. I do my best to reply to every comment. Although sometimes that's not possible. :-)