Thursday, 25 August 2011

241 Tote - My Yummy New Bag!

Few things creatively give me quite the satisfaction as making a new bag.  For a while now I've been seeing 241 Tote's popping up over flickr and blogisphere.   After seeing this post though I went and bought the pattern from Anna over at Noodlehead.  I'd just ordered some Aviary in a different colourway with a mind to make myself a bag.   Having read the pattern I realised I had no suitable interfacing.  The pattern suggested using Pellon SF 101 so I popped along to here and looked through their interfacing until I found one equivalent to Pellon (which I think is hard to find in the UK?). The interfacing arrived today along with a reel of quilting thread to quilt my Spring Greens quilt. 

P1090807-ps

 Also in the mail today was this fabric I bought on sale from Sew Me Happy.  The blues are all Grand Bizarre by Patty Young for Michael Miller. The other random fat quarter is from Amy Butler Soul Blossoms range and the solid is a Freespirit solid in Royal.   

P1090808-ps

The blue fabric was bought with a bag in mind and so I decided to start cutting and make a 241 Tote.  Unfortunately it was dark when I finished so the pictures have been taken indoors. I'll try and get some better pictures outdoors tomorrow.

P1090809-ps


I have to say I not only LOVE the style of this bag. I LOVE the pattern.  This is the first time I've gone out and bought a bag pattern and I'm so glad I did. The instructions are clear. The pattern pieces easy to print out at home and that interfacing has given the bag a lovely structure and stability.  The pattern has a version for zipped pockets; I preferred this version with just external pockets.

P1090812-ps

It's really fun using different fabrics to add interest to the unusual shape.  I think the hardest part for me was top stitching down where the central area joins the side; and that was just a fiddle rather than a difficulty. A confident beginner could easily tackle this bag.  I'd say a couple of evenings or a very long afternoon and you can have a lovely new bag. I am greedy. I already want more in different colours!

And did you notice I have nothing negative to say - no criticisms. No bits that went wrong or are wonky.  I am completely and utterly happy with this bag.  So next time you fancy a new bag do consider this pattern

11 comments:

  1. It's lovely and it would look great in different colours - one for each outfit!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love the fabrics you used.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I just cut my pattern and interfacing this evening!! Fabric tomorrow!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love this bag pattern too! Yours looks great. I need to make me another.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oooo that bag is a real statement (in a good way!)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Anna writes such great patterns!!
    Your bag is lovely Jan!

    ReplyDelete
  7. lovely bag Jan! - I really like this bag pattern when the fabrics coordinate rather than contrast, as you've done with this ... I can see why you'd want more ... yum

    ReplyDelete
  8. Turned out amazing! Well done! Jxo

    ReplyDelete
  9. Lovely bag! It is a great pattern, I used a sew in heavy weight interfacing- I find I always mess up heavier fusibles. It is a great practical bag too

    ReplyDelete
  10. Over here from the Across the Seal Quilt Along... love this bag and your fabric choices!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking the time to leave a comment. I read every single one and love hearing what you have to say. I do my best to reply to every comment. Although sometimes that's not possible. :-)