Tuesday, 23 August 2011

DQS 11: Received!

Today has been rainy and grey and not at all sunny. That is until I came home from work to find my DQS11 quilt had arrived all the way from sunny Arizona.  Made by OhJennyMae it was like having some sunshine in a parcel! 

P1090795

I've been really drawn to the x&+ block lately - even contemplating a quilt of these blocks made from scraps.  So I was over the moon to see some of my favourite fabrics had been put together for this quilt and in such yummy colours. Of course there are some elements which I love about scrappy quilts: how big scale designs can look completely different when utilised in small pieces and also how a treasured fussy cut piece can come into it's own amongst scrappy 'friends'. 

I love that Jenny fussy cut the HR camper van and included it. I've been thinking about camper van's a lot lately as Chief would love a camper van or similar vehicle to go off travelling in - and I'd been thinking how fun, if he did get one, it would be to make quilts to go in it! 

I got a bit over excited looking at this. I have sent my mum deaf in one ear by screaming too loudly when I spotted this built into one of the blocks:

P1090798

I confess I am crap at labelling. I have good intentions, but they always end up looking like they've been made by a not very bright 10 year old.  This label is pieced into the back of the quilt.  The details are embroidered on more of that lovely lined paper effect fabric, also used in the binding. 

P1090797

If I wasn't lucky enough with that I also got some yummy Farmdale. I have been coverting those chickens forever and the brightly coloured apples. 

P1090794

So all of a sudden it's raining, although sunnier than ever!  Can't wait for my next swap and I hope my partner loves the quilt I made her as much as I love this!

Ps.  Thanks for all your comments on how many quilts is too many. I have now decided I don't have nearly enough quilts and desperately need more pillows, table runners, table mats and bags while I'm at it.  I just knew you'd all have the right answer! ;-)

12 comments:

  1. Oh, wow!!! That is just stunning, ain't it? Lucky, lucky girl you are. I love the wee octopus and, of course, that genius DQS11!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love the mini quilt - what amazing fabrics were used in it!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Lucky you! I had my eye on this one too :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a cute DQ, v.sunny and cheerful! Glad to see your getting involved in Across the Sea QAL too! Jxo

    ReplyDelete
  5. that is gorgeous! and the chicken fabric is really cool too I hadn't seen that before

    ReplyDelete
  6. Lovely quilt, and that fussy cutting is really clever!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Wow, you seem to have received the package of my dreams!!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Pretty fabulour little quilt! I like what you've done with your blog header too.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Very cool quilt!! It is very you. Have fun cuddling it!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Wow lucky you Jan! I am very drawn to blue and orange at the moment and also that pattern is amazing. I love all the gorgeous fabrics here. You did really well!

    ReplyDelete
  11. What a cool DQ!! Definitely one to brighten up a rainy day. The dqs11 worked into the back is brilliant!!!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Stunning! I love the fabrics and fussy cutting and piecing the label into the backing is an incredible idea - I'm not sure I'd get mine straight!!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking the time to leave a comment. I read every single one and love hearing what you have to say. I do my best to reply to every comment. Although sometimes that's not possible. :-)