Friday, 12 August 2011

DQS11 Finished! And a question about Camera's

I finished my Doll Quilt for round 11 of The Doll Quilt Swap. I can't give too much away about it as it's all top secret until my partner receives. 

Doll Quilt Finished

Apart from sewing the binding on the front, the rest has been hand sewn. It was a lot of work - far fiddlier than I imagined when I decided to go down this route.  I actually tweaked my design a couple of times and it ended up with more a vintage feel than I'd first thought. In fact I hope I don't get type cast into only making vintagey stuff in other swaps because I love modern looking stuff too.

back of quilt

This is the back. With all the work on the front I went for a plain back. I'd used the same fabric for the quilt in the last round. It's small scale design seemed to have the right balance for a doll quilt and it also keeps up with the vintage feel.  I hope my partner likes it!

Extra's were an issue, but I don't want to explain why in case it gives clues as to where my partner lives.  So now I just have to wait for mine to arrive.

A few months ago I got to use (albeit briefly as he made me hand it back.) Moh's new Canon DSLR and I've been slowly growing the idea inside my head that I really want to make the move to DSLR myself. When I bought my Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ38 I resisted the urge to buy a DSLR because of the extra cost, my wanting a camera I could carry anywhere - easily and have better zoom capabilities than a point-and-shoot.  Don't get me wrong I love my Lumix and it will probably still get used heavily - particularly as I learn. But I'm thinking before Christmas I want to buy myself a DSLR - even know which lens would be a priority. I've narrowed it down to two brands and one is leading the other.

So I thought I'd ask you all what your experience, opinions are. There are lots of reasons why a Canon would make sense for me. Not least because Moh has one and his lens would fit my camera - and he's given me his Canon camera bag which would save me maybe £50 on purchasing that. However, a lot of people I know have migrated from Canon to Nikon and I don't want to be in the position of getting a camera, lens, convertors, filters etc etc and then in two years time think - damn wish I'd got a Nikon: best try and sell it all on ebay. 

I've spoken to several experienced/professional photographers and they've all told me unless you're buying high end Nikons there are better entry level cameras - cheaper too.  Another person told me they'd upgraded to Nikon because they went on a course and the person running it had a Nikon and took fabulous photos - but then by the virtue of them being good enough to run a course they'd probably take fab photographs with a £2.00 disposable camera.  Someone else said they upgraded to Nikon because it's what Forces photographers use...Hmmmm didn't like to point out that, whilst this maybe the first choice of forces photographers they would use the equipment they were given, so if the government has a contract/sponsorship with Nikon then they'll be using Nikon cameras. 

So are you a Nikon camera user that feels no other brand will do? Or are you a Canon devotee that wants to bend my ear about the benefits of EOS?  Please let me know. Of course if you just want to comment about how your Mum always chops peoples heads off in the Christmas snaps then I completely sympathise there too ;-)

4 comments:

  1. Can't help with camera decision but I do know your doll quilt is beautiful. Well done!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Can't help on the camera front other than say that I am thinking of nicking one of himself's cameras to get better macro so may be going DRSL too. Your doll quilt is gorgeous!

    ReplyDelete
  3. The quilt is lovely!

    I have a Canon but it doesn't mean I take good photos. My suggestion is that whatever camera you get, learn to use it! That may sound silly but you can have all the bells and whistles but if you don't understand the why and how, you may as well stick with a point and shoot. I really need to take a class again to help with all I've forgotten!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I have a Nikon D3000 DSLR & I really like it. In the olden days of 35mm cameras, I used Minoltas, and loved them, but they're not around any more. The first digital P&S I got was a Nikon Coolpix. I only picked that one because I was using points I had earned, & that was the one that was available in the catalog! It worked great & took a LOT of abuse...and I'm now on my 3rd Coolpix, that lives in my purse. When I was ready to step back up to an SLR, I stayed with the Nikon because I'd been so happy with the P&S ones. 2 of my friends have Canons, and they are just as happy with them as I am with my Nikon. If you have the opportunity to share lenses & not have to buy duplicates, I'd say to go with the Canon.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking the time to leave a comment. I read every single one and love hearing what you have to say. I do my best to reply to every comment. Although sometimes that's not possible. :-)