Saturday, 29 October 2011

Bloggers Quilt Festival: Somewhere Beneath The Sea

Hi to everyone who may have popped over from The Bloggers Quilt Festival.  I hope you enjoy looking around my blog!


Amy'sCreativeSide


I have nothing new completely quilt wise this Autumn as I've been focusing on lots of small projects rather that full sized quilts. So my entry for the bloggers quilt festival this Autumn is my: "Somewhere Beneath The Sea" Quilt I completed at the start of the year.


Mendocino Quilt 

 When I got back into quilting last year I realised, with great delight, that fabric had moved on since I'd last been quilting and there was a wealth of designer fabrics to be found and bought. Better still (as I have no bricks and mortar LQS) I could get this fabric yumminess online! A range I immediately fell in love with in its entirety is Mendocino by Heather Ross. There wasn't a single colour way or design I didn't like.  At one stage I had high hopes of getting a fat quarter at least of all the designs in all the colour ways. But alas some colour ways proved too elusive. The Swim Sisters have remained my all time favourites of the whole range. Unfortunately Mendocino was just becoming scarce when I discovered it. There were a few US sellers selling bundles on Etsy and happily the prices, though inflated by US standards, were more comparable to UK fabric prices. So I snapped up a few fq bundles when I had the chance.
; Mendocino fat quarters just waiting to be made into a quiltMendocino in the mail
New to my stash - 10 fat quarters of Mendocino 

The hardest decision was what to make with this fabric. Part of me just wanted to hoard it and not cut into it!! But another part of me wanted something usable I could enjoy and allow me to see my precious fabric every day, not just when I opened a drawer or cupboard.  I decided to go for a simple disappearing nine patch and only use some of it - first using up the FQ's I had duplicates of.  I didn't feel I had the requisite skill to do a more complicated quilt design and complete it to my satisfaction.

I really did not want to start cutting out a complicated pattern only to find months later it languished in a WIP pile. As it was I started this prior to dental surgery last Autumn and didn't finish it until this year, having put it to one side!

Mendocino Disappearing Nine Patch

This quilt is lap sized and I used a Warm and Natural cot sized wadding.  I don't know the name of the solids that I bound and backed it with, as I just picked two from an online supplier by colours that would compliment the quilt.

Best still I still have some Mendocino left, should I feel confident enough to do a more complicated design in the future.

Phew! this post has wiped me out. I don't like this seasonal lurgy getting buisness. Hope normal service resumes soon!!

21 comments:

  1. Oh that is so scrummy - you're right, such beautiful fabrics!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Beautiful! I love the swimming mermaids throughout.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Lovely! And what a great pattern to show off the fabulous fabric!

    ReplyDelete
  4. love the quilt! some of my favorite fabrics too~

    Margaret
    www.quiltsoflove.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wow, your fabric selection is so yummy!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love Mendocino fabric! Great job. :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. what a great quilt, lovely fabrics

    ReplyDelete
  8. Lovely yummy fabric, hadn't come across it before - and good to see a whole quilt made with D9P, such a clever block.
    Hope you feel a lot better soon.

    ReplyDelete
  9. It looks fab, and yes, tough as it is to hack into the fabric goodness, it's so much better to use it and display it to its best :o) It is a PITA to fall for fabric that is becoming hen's teeth like though!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Great entry to the BQF Jan - lovely autumnal feel to this one and the fabrics are gorgeous.

    ReplyDelete
  11. LOVE this Jan, those colours are lovely together...you absolutely did that fabric justice!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Ooo- I love the intense colors! It looks great!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Love this quilt. The colours are so scrumptious. It is one of those quilts that just begs to you to wrap yourself up in it!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Such a wonderful quilt! Hope you feel better soon x

    ReplyDelete
  15. YUM! yummy fabric, yummy pattern that shows off the fabric! Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Awesome fabrics, and a wonderful quilt! thanks for sharing! 8-)

    ReplyDelete
  17. LOVE Mendocino. One of my favorite fabric lines ever. Lovely job on your quilt and I hope you have a great day

    Lyanna

    ReplyDelete
  18. Great vibrant quilt. Love the fabrics and the design. Thanks for sharing and have a great day

    ReplyDelete
  19. Pretty! Thanks for sharing. :)

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking the time to leave a comment. I read every single one and love hearing what you have to say. I do my best to reply to every comment. Although sometimes that's not possible. :-)