Sunday, 13 November 2011

Buttercup Bag

It's been a day of quiet reflection, a little housework and some more making for Christmas. This afternoon I decided to make The Buttercup Bag by Made By Rae.  It was the first time I'd tackled this bag, although I've had the free pattern for some time now. I thought it would make a great Christmas gift. The first one I made was this one.

365-316 13 November 2011
I used up the left over Heirloom from the last 241 tote I made.

It's a great pattern that sews together really quickly and would be a great beginner project; not least because you only need a fat quarter for the exterior and less for the lining. However, this is a free pattern and the instructions maybe aren't so clear about every last detail, so if you are a beginner you really need to read them through several times before you start. If you've made a bag or three before it's super simple and quick. I omitted the button detailing on the exterior because I've not got that many fancy buttons and I didn't want the bag to suddenly look a bit 'hand knitted' because I'd skimped on the finishing details.

I got on so well with bag number one I decided to make a second with some more left over Heirloom fabric from the last 241 tote I made. I didn't have enough to do the strap, so I decided I'd use some of the Klona fabric I've used for both bag's linings, for the strap. So it didn't look too random I used the same fabric for the top part of the bag exterior.


P1110129

I think it adds a nice contrast. Two more presents on the list sorted and as these come together so quickly they might be good options for another couple of people. 

I hope you've all had a good weekend.


12 comments:

  1. These look great - I made a Buttercup bag last year for a present and this post makes me think I should make some more...soon! Love the fabrics you chose!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I made a couple of these, but I am still not sure I followed the strap part right. As it is, I used one of them a bunch and the strap looks like it will eventually pull off...so, I haven't been using the others as much because i'm afraid the same thing will happen to them. Yes, I do stuff too much weight in there, too. I just haven't made enough bags/read enough bag instructions to know how to fix it/do it right. Did you have trouble with the strap?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Very nice! So have you filled up your Buttercup yet? Sorry, I had that song stuck in my head from the moment I saw the post title lol

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oooo you know I like a bag or two - these have got me thinking. I will defo check out that pattern x

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oooh another fab bag pattern to try! Really love your buttercups, and the fabric you've mixed with the heirloom on the second one is really lush!

    ReplyDelete
  6. what a great idea, I can think of at least 3 friend that would love one as their Christas pressie!
    xxx

    ReplyDelete
  7. It`s very interesting how the fabrics give the two bags completely different looks - the second looks much more eveningy. Both super cute!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Brilliant - I particularly love the second one x

    ReplyDelete
  9. Nice! Love that you can use your leftovers and have a fantastic bag!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Wow I love the first on the most it's very striking!

    ReplyDelete
  11. another lovely bag ( or two!) Jan :-) Espesh the 2nd one, love the fabric contrast :-)

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking the time to leave a comment. I read every single one and love hearing what you have to say. I do my best to reply to every comment. Although sometimes that's not possible. :-)