Monday, 28 November 2011

Cheats Chocolate Gingers

Chocolate gingers
Chocolate gingers on the tray waiting to 'set'


After a chance remark one day about how we like ginger in this house, every year a family friend gives me a bag of ginger related goodies as a Christmas present. Even though the contents vary each year there is always a jar of stem ginger. It seems a particularly good Christmas gift - one I've copied for other friends. However, whilst it seems like a good foodie present for ginger lovers, invariably we end up with jars languishing in the back of the cupboard that we mean to use, but never quite manage it. Then last night as I was drifting off to sleep I hit upon an idea. I'd have a go at making my own chocolate gingers. 

Confectioners that may happen upon this blog may be truly horrified by my method. But in case any non confectioners are interested in my method, here's what I did to make 'cheats chocolate gingers': 

Line a baking tray or other flat surface with grease proof paper. Remove the gingers from the syrup in the jar  one at a time so to avoid taking any more syrup than you have to. Using kitchen roll remove as much of the syrup from the ginger pieces as you can.  (You want them as 'dry' as possible to help the chocolate adhere to them.) Chop the ginger pieces into bite sized chunks. Some ginger can be quite hot so you don't want too large a bite sized piece.   Melt a bar of confectioners grade dark chocolate in a bowl over a pan of simmering water. (Using a chocolate with at least 70% cocoa solids gives a much better result in cooking.)  When the chocolate is melted drop the pieces of ginger into the chocolate and coat them with chocolate. I found that a teaspoon was a good tool to help with coating. When thoroughly covered in chocolate remove each piece individually and place on the grease proof paper. I found spearing them with a cocktail stick was useful.   When the gingers are not too warm from the chocolate melting process place in the fridge to chill. Within an hour you should have some yummy chocolate gingers.  You could give these to ginger loving friends as presents or scoff yourself.  I doubt these will last long enough around here to give as presents. Although after eating all of these I doubt we'll want anything ginger for a very long time :-)

10 comments:

  1. Great idea, and I bet you get another jar of ginger for Christmas.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It was going fine till it got to drying them on the kitchen paper, which is when, I'll admit, I burst out laughing. Still, they look yummy, even if they are a little unconventional in the making!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Not so keen on the ginger altho I know a man who is - the choccy looks good tho.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Nom nom!!! My Granny would love these but I'd make 'em and then eat 'em, I'm sure!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I second Lynz.......Nom nom!! big ginger fan me, thanku :-)

    ReplyDelete
  6. I've never tried chocolate covered ginger! Looks great.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Such a great idea! I made chocolate marzipans last year using a similar method and I think I'll be adding chocolate gingers to my list! I have a recipe for a delicious ginger cake if you'd like it...

    ReplyDelete
  8. Mmmmmm, they look delicious and I am starving now!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I am not sure about the ginger, but I think the chocolate would more than make up!

    Pomona x

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking the time to leave a comment. I read every single one and love hearing what you have to say. I do my best to reply to every comment. Although sometimes that's not possible. :-)