Wednesday, 16 November 2011

Nosy Parker in the Neighbourhood!


I'm linking up with Kat's blog for this post: 

Diary of a Flutter.Kat




1) Tell us about your home:
Where do you live; (town, state, country that is - obviously not your street address!!) 
 what is it like e.g. do you live by the beach or a lake or in the desert etc..., is it famous for anything in particular (e.g. industry), and maybe what is the climate like etc...


I Live in a small Oxfordshire village east of the city of Oxford in England.  There is something that makes my village unique and not many people know about. However, if I told you this and you did a quick google you'd know exactly where I live. What I can say is there is no pub or shop in my village. There is a school, university campus and sports centre there, although controversially they've been named for a neighbouring village. Nearby Oxford is known as the city of dreaming spires and is most famous for it's University.  The University of Oxford is made up of a group of colleges and facilities. If you come to Oxford to see the University - you'll really be seeing lots of buildings, parks and museums. 


P1100313
University of Oxford buildings like this are very typical of Oxford

P1060979

The High, Oxford (Locals tend to drop the 'street' 'road' bits from street names.)

The climate is pretty typical of this part of the world. So unpredictable. Last winter the nearest weather station recorded over night temperatures of -18.  This is not typical of SE England. You just never know what you're going to get. I'd say that the notion it is always raining in the UK is a bit of a myth. 

2) What are the houses like in your area. Apartment style, Joined, Semi-detached, Detached etc...

I live in a semi detached stone cottage, which was probably built in the late 18th Century.  Whilst their are some very pretty villages in the surrounding area, full of the sorts of cottages you get on chocolate boxes, the village I live in only has a handful of cottages. It does have a lot of houses you'd associate with more suburban areas.  It's actually a bit of a mismatch of styles and designs. 

Jan 2010
My home in the snow - a 3 bed semi detached cottage.

3) What are some of your favourite places to visit or favourite things to do in about your town/city.


Oxfordshire is quite a small county and with only going a relatively short distance there are so many places to explore. One of my favourite places to go is anywhere along the banks of the river Thames. When the Thames runs through Oxford it's known as the Isis this is where I took part of my online name from.  I love the countryside and architecture around Oxfordshire. It differs greatly from the southern parts to the north. I am always a bit amazed by this given that it's not that far between the two. There are lots of things to see and do in Oxfordshire.




Salters Steamers Folly Island
The Isis or Thames from Folly Bridge in Oxford

Blenheim Palace
Blenheim Palace - is a World Heritage Site in Woodstock, Oxfordshire

P1010576
University of Oxford Museum of Natural History. Great Building and free entry too!


Summer planting

Waterperry Gardens - this is close to me and I go here quite often.

Even in the centre of Oxford there are green spaces to explore like Christchurch Meadow, University Parks or the University of Oxford botanic gardens.


DSC07018

Me on a bridge in University Parks

P1070039
Border in University of Oxford Botanic Gardens. 

4) How do most people travel around your town/city? E.g. subway, bus, bike, what are the most popular styles of car.

In the city of Oxford it's quite common (although I think far too dangerous) to cycle. Living in a rural area I have to go about a mile to get a bus into Oxford in one direction and small market town in the other. The buses tend to go every half hour in the day and are the most economical way to travel. However, after about 5pm the buses get infrequent so not so good for a night out in the city.  I don't like to drive into Oxford because I'm a bit wussy about driving and Oxford is a very busy city. There is also limited parking and what there is, is ridiculously expensive.  Living in a rural area like I do you really need to drive or do your shopping online. It's a couple of miles to my nearest supermarket.

5) Is there a type of food that would be quintessential to where you live? E.g. a famous local produce etc...

I can't really think of any food that's particular to this part of the world. The north Oxfordshire town of Banbury has lent its name to Banbury Cakes and there are various cheeses etc with Oxford in the title. Frank Coopers Marmalade was made at the Jam factory in Oxfordshire and that's world famous. Curiously enough there are several breweries and vineyards in Oxfordshire.

I hope you've enjoyed learning a bit more about me and where I live. If you have any questions about the area or if something isn't clear please ask!






20 comments:

  1. Enjoyed that wee trip Jan, our friends used to live in Stonesfield and we enjoyed visiting them as often as possible when we lived in Worcester - great part of the country.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nice to meet you Jan! I think you live in a very cool and unique place, the kind of place I'd like to visit someday. Thanks for the vicarious vacation.

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a great post - I loved it! Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Lovely to see you in your own context! Beautiful part of the world. I have family in Witney, not sure if that's near you or not!! Jxo

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thank you - I like a bit of a beak about!

    ReplyDelete
  6. That was really interesting, thank you: and your house looks gorgeous, especially in all that snow

    ReplyDelete
  7. What a lovely trip down memory lane x Fab pictures too.... If I get some time this weekend, I might link with this blog and do one about our town - not quite as pretty as Oxford though, watch this space :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Great insight into your corner of the world. I have been writing my post but not done yet. I am looking forward to seeing who joins the linky. Wonder what questions we will get next time?!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Love Oxford so much - the stone in Oxfordshire is so beautiful. So I guess you live in a hamlet? Nice nosey round - thanks for the tour.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Although we live in California, we were lucky to live in Oxford for the first 5 months of 2010. Looking at your pictures (we visited every place you listed, even Waterperry Gardens during snowdrop season -- we had no car so it was quite an adventure to get there!), I get a little homesick for Oxford. I cherish the time we lived there and would go back in a minute. Thanks for the tour of home.

    ReplyDelete
  11. what a beautiful place you live in! Thanks for sharing it with us. A gorgeous photo of you too :)
    It made me a little heartsick for England. Oxford is one of the few places I never got to visit which I would have liked to. Went through it on the train once and I think I may have had to swap trains there. I don't think that counts though LOL...

    ReplyDelete
  12. What a fun trip thru' your town Jan! Thanks for all the wonderful pictures - such history all around.

    ReplyDelete
  13. What a great blog post!I really enjoyed reading :) Thanks x

    ReplyDelete
  14. this is so super cool. i would really love to spend a weekend here exploring more!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Ooh, I recognise those river bits, having umpired there, thanks for the guided tour of the rest of it :o)

    ReplyDelete
  16. I think we are going to end up wanting to go on a proper tour of all these great places - hope Kat is going to organise that too! Though how we get across the ocean in the tour bus will be quite interesting?

    I am now thinking of you and John Thaw!

    ReplyDelete
  17. I like that bit about the Thames. Very interesting! I enjoyed reading your post very much.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Hi! Thank you for a wonderful post! I would love to visit all those beautiful places you showed! Love your stone house with the snow!
    Finnish wishes from Greece! x Teje

    ReplyDelete
  19. Your part of the world looks so interesting! One day I will have to visit. I think it must be very LOFTY to live near Oxford university - I mean how could one not be brainy?!

    ReplyDelete
  20. You live in such a beautiful area! It's so different from where I live now! Thanks for taking such time in sharing.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking the time to leave a comment. I read every single one and love hearing what you have to say. I do my best to reply to every comment. Although sometimes that's not possible. :-)