Wednesday, 2 November 2011

Something to look forward too...

Yesterday was not a good day. So many things to drag me down. On top of which I'm bored with being ill. It feels like it's been forever not just a week. I have the energy enough to be bored of doing nothing, but not the energy to do anything much.  On the plus side I've been able to get through some of my mount to-be-read. Although I confess having started The Crimson Petal and the White, I've had to put it to one side as the writing is unbelievably titchy in the copy I have and the book heavier than a house brick. At the risk of sounding like a right wuss, I'm finding it hard to muster the energy to lift the damn book let alone sit with it open to read!!

But I am determined today will be better! I have been spending some time catching up on reading of blogs, browsing on Flickr and pinning stuff on Pinterest.  Are you on Pinterest? I wasn't sure when I first joined. I applied for an invite and thought it would be like when google+ came out and you needed some secret knowledge to secure an invite. But they let me in. And once in I wasn't really sure it was for me. But now I'm kind of hooked with the best of them. Or should that be pinned?


I had a nice surprise in the mail today from DarcyDivine over on flickr, which is a crucial piece in my plan to join in with Noodleheads Sew-A-Long.  When I read this post I thought this is just what I need. I have wanted to be able to make clothes forever. I've made one skirt before following a pattern and think I even wore it at least once to work. But on the whole anything I've ever made I've not wanted to wear.

However, I had no idea where I'd get a copy of the pattern from in the UK. Gone are the days you can pop along to your local Debenhams or other department stores sewing department to buy a pattern, notions and fabric. Whenever I see patterns at online fabric stores they're always the same ones by AMH, Amy Butler etc. No, Simplicity. I left a comment to this effect on the blog and went away to try and find one online, without success. Then DarcyDivine sent me a flickr mail saying she'd read my comment on the post and would happily pick up a pattern and ship it to me (all the way from the US!). How kind are people in blogland? I think it blew me away so much I went round telling everyone I met. :-)


365-305 2 November 2011



So now I have everything but the lightweight interfacing. Which I may have enough of in the drawer or I might need to go and put an order in. But that's no drama. I've opted for some cheap fabric from Remnant House that is nice enough I'd actually wear a skirt made from this. But not expensive or fancy enough that I'll be gutted if the skirt ends up unwearable. I also got some pattern tracing paper. I've heard this is what people that know what they're doing use, to save messing up the original pattern and I know there is a strong chance I'll have an oppsy moment.

So I'm going to try and make a skirt people. With  luck the sew along won't start until I'm fully recovered.  Until then I reserve the right to get all excited :-)

14 comments:

  1. Your skirt will be fantastic. Hope you are back to normal soon.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think your skirt will be great. I love the people in blogland. I'm on Pinterest, http://pinterest.com/janprytz/, I went ahead and followed you.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I tried reading The Crimsom Petal and the White but it never grabbed me. I tried persevering thinking I really should like it but I am afraid I finally gave up. Good door stop though.

    Your skirt is going to be fab. Can't wait to see the end result.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I am on pinterest, but since I joined I never seem to get the time to go on there!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hello and thankyou for popping over to my blog and becoming a follower!
    I see your into quilting....your braver than me! I do on the other hand PIN, I have only just started on PINTEREST so my boards are a bit bare but I am working on it!
    xxx

    ReplyDelete
  6. Your skirt is going to be fabulous - good luck (not that you'll need it!). Hope you feel better soon but until then stay on the settee or in bed!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hope you are feeling better today! I love making clothes - good luck!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Sounds like you need a Kindle - but I love real books too much!
    Pinterest is wonderful, but at I need more hours in the day.
    Can't wait to see your skirt x

    ReplyDelete
  9. Oh I hate that sick of being sick feeling, hope you feel much better very soon! I love Pinterest, but I have to admit I tend to use it just as a personal bulletin board, I rarely have time to check out other people's! Still, lots of people seem to enjoy my pins lol

    ReplyDelete
  10. I'm on pinterest.... but never seem to find time for looking at it much. It's good for ideas though.
    Good luck with the skirt.... I love those old paper packets of patterns - will keep my eye out for any at carboots!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Get well soon Jan :) I'm sure your skirt will be lovely!

    ReplyDelete
  12. The wee shop I work in stocks McCalls, Siplicity & New Look, and we can order Vogue & Butterick - let me know if you are ever stuck.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Oh poor you, hate that "no energy" feeling...hope you feel better soon, and we need to see a picture of that skirt! (good luck with it!)

    ReplyDelete
  14. Feel better soon!

    Have fun making the skirt! I know you can do it. I am sure the sew a long will help but I think you might surprise yourself at how much you know now. I usually read my instructions through several times, it helps you highlight areas were more attention may be needed. Remember to breathe....

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking the time to leave a comment. I read every single one and love hearing what you have to say. I do my best to reply to every comment. Although sometimes that's not possible. :-)