Saturday, 3 December 2011

Advent 3: Scone Recipe

Today has been a very lazy day. Which what comes of getting up and feeling a bit blurgh. Not ill as such, just one of those days when you know that anything sensible or productive you try and achieve is likely to involve you taking one step forward and about three back. A day when it is most sensible to do things like play with fabric scraps - whilst not going near a needle and thread or snuggling on the sofa. It means I have got very little to blog about today. However, as there was a request for the scone recipe yesterday I thought I'd post that.

DSC09112

This recipe has been with me since school cookery days. There may well be fancier recipes out there whereby a host of celebrity chefs have put their own twist on it by adding coriander (I am joking about the coriander. But it does feel like my most loathed herb is being added to everything these days. After a while it just feels like they're lacking imagination not being inventive!)

Scone Recipe 

Ingredients
40g (1.4oz) Butter
2 level tablespoons of caster sugar
225g (8oz) self raising flower
1egg
125ml (0.25 pint) milk


Optional extras - Fruit 50g (2oz) dried fruit such as sultanas or Grated cheese 75g (3oz) If making a cheese version then omit the sugar. You can make a wholemeal version just substitute 4oz of the self raising flour for wholemeal flower.  Icing sugar to dust if making sweet scones or a little extra grated cheese for sprinkling on the top of savoury ones.

Preheat your oven to gas 7 or 220 degrees centigrade.  Lightly grease a baking tray.  Sieve flour into a bowl and add butter. Rub the butter into the flour until you have a mixture resembling fine breadcrumbs. Stir in sugar or if you're making the cheese version add the cheese now. Lightly beat and egg and make up with the milk. Add the liquid to the dry ingredients, reserving a teaspoon or so of liquid, and mix with a palette knife until it comes together into a soft, not wet dough.  Lightly flour your work surface and roll out your dough to about an inch thick.  Cut out using the pastry cutter. Fluted if you have one for sweet scones and plain cutter for cheese.  This mixture will make about 12 scones like the ones in the picture.  Place on a baking tray and using the teaspoon of reserved milk/egg liquid brush the tops.  (You can add a little more grated cheese to the tops if you have some to cheese versions). Bake in the oven for about 10 minutes or until they are risen and golden brown.  Sides should feel springy.  If you're making sweet scones you might like dust them with icing sugar.

Sweet scones are traditionally served with butter or cream and Jam.  Enjoy!

ps. Don't worry if the sides split a bit. Apparently a truly good scone should not require a knife to cut it in to as pulling apart should suffice!

11 comments:

  1. Yummy! And I'm glad I'm not the only one to loathe coriander!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yum! thanks for recipe! My husband is our family chef so I'll pass it on!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I can smell them from here!

    So with you and Katy on the coriander - bleugh!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks so much for the recipe!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love that you have a most loathed herb! I love baking but my scones are just terrible! I'll just have to stick to eating them :) Mmmmm I would love one right now...

    ReplyDelete
  6. I am in bed and hungry.now wanting scones for breakfast! But we have to go out for the day soon so no time.

    Dill is my most hated herb. Vile stuff!

    ReplyDelete
  7. mmm good enought to eat!! can smell them from here!! xx

    ReplyDelete
  8. I have never made scones, my nan use to make wonderful ones!
    yours look lovely.
    xxx

    ReplyDelete
  9. Thank you!! I need to get the ingredients (think I have most of them) and make some. Find the time to make some.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking the time to leave a comment. I read every single one and love hearing what you have to say. I do my best to reply to every comment. Although sometimes that's not possible. :-)