Sunday, 8 January 2012

My Plan 'B' Weekend

This weekend has been another occasion when what I intended up doing is very very different to what I'd hoped and planned for even a few days ago. You see plan 'A' had involved Chief coming down and taking me away for a night. We're talking 4 star hotel, spa, lounging around relaxing, good food and some couple time. Somewhere along the line we'd open our Christmas presents; that are currently wedged down Chiefs side of the bed, looking a bit forlorn and unloved in their Christmas paper, now it's January.

When Chief drove back to camp on at the start of the month he had a sore throat which has developed into a full blown lurgy. He was sent home from work on Wednesday and ordered to bed on Thursday for a couple of days. Up until the last he's remained optimistic he'd shake it off and come down - even if it was only for today. The unfortunate side effects of health problems he had last year is he now seems to pick up every germ that's going. His doctor says bugs will no longer pass him by and they may take a lot longer to shake off.

This has left me with a whole weekend kicking my heals and it's been the perfect time (amongst other things) to get on with some sewing. The Finish-A-Long has been a great motivator for me.  I've already done and dusted the first item on the list my string greens quilt. There will be a whole post dedicated to that quilt when the weather is not so dismal and I can get out side to take some pretty pictures.

First Quilt Finish of 2012
I even made a label which is pretty much unheard of unless a swap dictates it!

Anyway, fired up with the enthusiasm of finishing a quilt I decided to crack on with the Colour Brick quilt. This had featured as a QAL over on Rachel - Stitched in Color Blog. It's a great beginner project and has very clear and comprehensive instructions.

Getting ready for some brick laying

I'd wanted a simple project to show case my Hope Valley stash for some time. I think I'd bought a pink/grey FQ bundle a couple of years ago now and had been cutting into it a lot as it plays so nicely with other fabrics. Then I'd spotted a few quilts on Flickr made with nothing but HV and maybe a bit of kona and I loved how it looked used together. I started buying bits of HV as and when I saw it, and had massed far more different types than was strictly necessary for the Colour Brick quilt. But I thought it might be a manageable project for me. I am not sure I'm ever going to be making big complicated quilts. Well not if I want to finish them.  I was actually up until stupid o'clock last night this morning cutting the bricks. I cut far too many as I followed Rachel's instructions to cut up some whole FQ's and also cut into some of the left over bit of HV I had too.  I figure I'll use some of them pieced on the back along with more HV and maybe some more Kona. I really don't want to have to buy more fabric to finish this quilt so I'm trying to be creative with my backing solutions.

I did find I sort of did my own thing with cutting the sashing because the instructions were so comprehensive I felt confused.  I know this is nobody's intention but sometimes if I get too much information I make really elementary mistakes. I am loving my new cutting mat, which you can see in the above picture. It's got a slightly textured surface - unlike my other smaller one. I'm finding I'm a lot more accurate with my cutting using this mat. The right tools for the job really can make a great deal of difference.

The individual bricks have been made

Anyway, all the bricks are sewn on one side to the Kona medium grey sashing and I've laid them all out to get the pattern I'm happiest with. They're all pinned together in organiser rows ready for me to get sewing. You may notice that the grey flowers and the grey leaves with the little checks are missing from the HV line up. I  can't find the latter and I wanted to save the grey flowers for the back where I'm hoping they'll show up better than they would on the front sashed in medium grey kona!

I've also left out the black basket weave fabric, of which I have a half yard, because I'm thinking I may bind the quilt in this.   So there you go that's my weekends sewing and I feel firmly back in the sewing groove.

I hope you're weekend has been good too. xox

18 comments:

  1. I hope your luxury weekend comes another time. the Hope Valley looks lovely all ready to assemble

    ReplyDelete
  2. Shame about the reason that you got so much done this weekend. But at least you have something good to show for the past couple of days. I hope your luxury weekend, and Paris, are still in the offing soon!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sorry about your weekend plans, I'm sure you were bummed. But on the upside this is absolutely gorgeous! I love HV too! Also loved Stitched In Color - are you taking any of the curves classes?

    ReplyDelete
  4. THat is one lovely Hope Valley quilt!

    ReplyDelete
  5. shame your plans had to change...but look what you got done xx

    ReplyDelete
  6. Sorry your weekend didn't go according to plan!
    I love your HV quilt - it's such a great line isn't it - I'm still several prints short so I must track them down - especially the bottom row, second print in, which I love!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Sounds like you made the best of your weekend, I love the fabric that you've used (and the story of it too!)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Sorry it wasn't all you'd hoped for out of a weekend, but way to conquer that first finish! Looking forward to seeing your bricks all together, looks like it should be pretty straight forward from here :o)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Sorry to hear about yet another change of plans but you put the unexpected free time to good use! Congratulations on finishing String Greens - love the label! And your HV quilt is stunning, I can't wait to see it develop!

    ReplyDelete
  10. oh what a shame that you didn't get away. Your quilts look fantastic

    ReplyDelete
  11. I really really hope you are going to keep this one- it will be gorgeous!
    Get well soon Chief!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Glad your back in your sewing groove! Sorry you had to miss out on your luxurious weekend again though. Hope Chief's soon on the mend and ready to pamper you!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Love your colour brick! So sorry you didn't get that special weekend. Jxo

    ReplyDelete
  14. Shame the weekend wasnt as planned, but it certainly sounds like you did make the most of it!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Sorry about the change in plans. Hope Chief feels well soon.
    The quilt is great! I too have some HV I've stashed and I need to take care of that soon...

    ReplyDelete
  16. Well I hope Chief is feeling better soon. I am thrilled you have ticked one off your FAL list. Maybe your luxury weekend will be coming soon.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Oh that stinks! It looks like you made the best of an unfortunate situation though!
    Your projects make me want to get busy crafting! I am currently (and finally almost finished) going through every single thing in my house and cleaning it out. It's nice but not as easy or as fast as it was with a little one who likes to run off with stuff!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Wow, your Hope Valley quilt is looking great. Hope you get your get away weekend soon!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking the time to leave a comment. I read every single one and love hearing what you have to say. I do my best to reply to every comment. Although sometimes that's not possible. :-)