When Chief drove back to camp on at the start of the month he had a sore throat which has developed into a full blown lurgy. He was sent home from work on Wednesday and ordered to bed on Thursday for a couple of days. Up until the last he's remained optimistic he'd shake it off and come down - even if it was only for today. The unfortunate side effects of health problems he had last year is he now seems to pick up every germ that's going. His doctor says bugs will no longer pass him by and they may take a lot longer to shake off.
This has left me with a whole weekend kicking my heals and it's been the perfect time (amongst other things) to get on with some sewing. The Finish-A-Long has been a great motivator for me. I've already done and dusted the first item on the list my string greens quilt. There will be a whole post dedicated to that quilt when the weather is not so dismal and I can get out side to take some pretty pictures.
I even made a label which is pretty much unheard of unless a swap dictates it!
Anyway, fired up with the enthusiasm of finishing a quilt I decided to crack on with the Colour Brick quilt. This had featured as a QAL over on Rachel - Stitched in Color Blog. It's a great beginner project and has very clear and comprehensive instructions.
I did find I sort of did my own thing with cutting the sashing because the instructions were so comprehensive I felt confused. I know this is nobody's intention but sometimes if I get too much information I make really elementary mistakes. I am loving my new cutting mat, which you can see in the above picture. It's got a slightly textured surface - unlike my other smaller one. I'm finding I'm a lot more accurate with my cutting using this mat. The right tools for the job really can make a great deal of difference.
Anyway, all the bricks are sewn on one side to the Kona medium grey sashing and I've laid them all out to get the pattern I'm happiest with. They're all pinned together in organiser rows ready for me to get sewing. You may notice that the grey flowers and the grey leaves with the little checks are missing from the HV line up. I can't find the latter and I wanted to save the grey flowers for the back where I'm hoping they'll show up better than they would on the front sashed in medium grey kona!
I've also left out the black basket weave fabric, of which I have a half yard, because I'm thinking I may bind the quilt in this. So there you go that's my weekends sewing and I feel firmly back in the sewing groove.
I hope you're weekend has been good too. xox