Friday, 16 March 2012

Somewhere Over the Rainbow...

In today's post I received these lovelies:

  Charms received!
Charms in a veritable rainbow of colours.

These were the charms from the Somewhere over the Rainbow swap on flickr. For those of you that haven't taken part in a swap like this before. 28 people were asked to send 56 x 5" squares in a designated colour. Emily, who ran this swap, sorted all the received squares into piles of two of each colour and we received back 2 of 28 different squares. I already have planned what to do with mine. I just need the time to get cracking and I really want to get a few other things squared away before I start. My night away over this weekend is looking doubtful now so maybe I will get some of those other things cleared up!

Did you read Archie the Wonder Dog today? This post and in particular the bit about Pinterest?  Concerning to say the least. Now don't get me wrong I pin. It took me a while to get into it and I do have a few reservations. For instance when Pinterest first came to my attention it was because another blog I follow (and a very well known one at that) wanted to highlight seasonal colour and she did this by showing photos on her blog that she had pinned on Pinterest. These were not her own photos and yes, there was a link back to Pinterest and I presume in turn, the original owner. But what baffled me is most people copyright their stuff on flickr and your average blogger would not dream of publishing other people's flickr photos without permission.  Many blogs I read have little bits in the side bar asking people not to publish words or photos without their permission. 

I even put a bit about this on mine, after I saw another blogger had used one of my pictures and mentioned me in passing, but there was no link to my blog or a mention that the photo was mine.  In fact I only found out about this when the blog owner left a comment on one of my posts that made me go and check out who she was and then I found my picture.  It wasn't a big drama, but I'd have liked to have been asked first - you know?   I'm pretty sure I'd have said, 'Yeah it's fine - thanks for liking my work'. Yet, when it comes to Pinterest people seem to think that once they've pinned something it becomes in their own domain.  And for this reason I've always been slightly concerned about Pinterest. Am I alone with this? 

Still now I best go to bed and clear all the stuff I have strewn on the bed, thinking I might be getting a night away over the next few days...

9 comments:

  1. I just checked and 90% of my pins go back to original, if I just like a picture I might just repin from someone else - but it always links back, and I'd never say 'oh look what I made' - the world's come bonkers!

    Night night x

    ReplyDelete
  2. I usually pin tutorials and recipes from sites with pin signs and always link back to the relevant post (otherwise how am I going to know how to make the thing?!) I'm a terrible Pinterest person in that I don't usually look at what others have pinned, so I guess I miss the drama of those wanting us, and if I use people's tutes, I use my pics and link to their tute in my post.

    Now onto the post, I'm hoping mine will arrive tomorrow (they had further to go you know ;o) )

    ReplyDelete
  3. This pinning debate is interesting. I've not pinned much mostly because my time is pretty well full of life, sewing and blogging/blog reading, etc.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Let's hope common sense prevails. Have a lovely w/e. Jxo

    ReplyDelete
  5. It's naughty of that blogger to pinch your photo and not link back to you...I still don't know what to do about Pinterest - I use it as an alternative to bookmarking things I love (and like the favourite button on Flickr) but the whole copyright thing has me worried. Have a lovely weekend, I hope you get away but if not have fun with your rainbow charms!
    P.S. Thanks for the mention!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I also use Pinterest to bookmark things to make or cook. It links back to the blog it is from and I have not yet put any on my blog. I did notice that Mollie Makes and the new Modrn Quilting put pictures from blogs in the magazine without asking the blog author too. They are selling magazines by effectively showing others work.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I got my charms too. They're great aren't they?
    I still haven't made it onto Pinterest yet. There just aren't enough hours in the day!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I too participated in the Over the Rainbow Swap. What I can't figure out, is why the charms I received from Emily are totally different than the ones you show in your photo. Do you have ny idea as to why mine are different?

    ReplyDelete
  9. Oh I love the charms!
    I love pinterest for personal use but I am really unhappy with everything I have been hearing about it online... I really wish accounts could be private. I think I may just go back to saving links and images on my personal computer. I loved that pinterest does it all for me, but the liability worries me. I never use it for blogging though! I don't even like to post others pictures at all... just links if I can help it.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking the time to leave a comment. I read every single one and love hearing what you have to say. I do my best to reply to every comment. Although sometimes that's not possible. :-)