Thursday, 29 March 2012

String Greens - Finish-A-Long Finished!

The first quarter of the finish-a-long hosted by Rhonda aka Quilter in the Gap is drawing to an end. I put three things on my 'to finish list' and blogged about it here. Despite finishing the first item within about a week of the finish-a-long starting, I actually didn't get much further with either of the other projects.  The one I did finish I can now blog about properly. So drum roll...I introduce you to the String Greens quilt.

IMG_2015
Lots of yummy green fabrics in various strips.

I'd been seeing lots of lovely strip quilts over on flickr and thought I'd have a go at one myself. I've come to the conclusion that complicated, intricate piecing and me finished quilts are not for me. I much prefer making simple quilts because I stand a chance of finishing them. Is it boring though? To only want to make quilts with simply arranged strips, squares or triangles? This quilt was made from randomly cut bands of width of the fabric half yard cuts. As I didn't have enough half yard cuts I had to cut up fat quarters and to add a bit of interest I mismatched fat quarter cuts.  


IMG_2013

There are lots of lovely fabrics in this quilt from designers such as American Jane, Momo, Laurie Wisbrun, Kaffe Fassett, Denyse Scmidt and Valori Wells.

IMG_2016
You have to have a rolled up quilt shot don't you?

In case you're wondering this quilt is lap sized. It's bound in a bella solid in a shade of green I've forgotten. I didn't take any pictures of the back, but it's a Riley Blake (I think) green flannel with red and blue spots on it. I'm not convinced I did a very level job of trimming this quilt. I had a complete mental block - I welcome any tips or advice on squaring up tops prior to basting. There is also a dodgy area of binding where the ends met due to some of the dodgy trimming...But we'll over look a few little errors because it's snugly and just perfect to curl up under these spring days when the sun has gone in and there is still a nip in the air.

I can't wait to see what you've all been finishing!




16 comments:

  1. I love those greens, the quilt looks amazing. And I think its much more fun having lots of different lines of fabrics in one quilt

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh, wow! Gotta love a green quilt in the spring! And, yes, a rolled up quilt shot is the law. *nods sagely*

    ReplyDelete
  3. Not boring - wonderful!!
    Not tips on trimming, sorry - fingers crossed works for me!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Like Hadley I go with the fingers crossed method but I do certainly love your rolled picture! Certainly better than mine!!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Lots of lovely greens in there - one of my favourite colours! No need to square off your quilt top before basting it as it will shrink again slightly with the quilting. Best to square off with scissors first after quilting i.e. getting rid of excess wadding/backing. Then fold it both ways on a cutting mat and see if any edges need straightened up. Jxo

    ReplyDelete
  6. Lovely! I'd consider eating string greens if they looked this good ;) No tips on straightening, I usually rely on the fact that no-one will be allowed anywhere near a finished quilt with a set-square or tape measure!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Yay to you for finishing something! Green is my favorite so I may be biased but I LOVE it :-) And the snuggliness is definitely the most important factor!

    ReplyDelete
  8. It is scrumptious. Love all the greens and bet it is super cuddly with the flannel backing.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Love it - green is my favourite colour. How did you decide how you were going to quilt it? (I am doing research for when I finally get round to finishing the top of my jelly roll quilt!) x

    ReplyDelete
  10. Love it, looks fab! And yes, I have come to the same conclusion about the lots of complex block quilts

    ReplyDelete
  11. Yeay, it's lovely, very springy! x

    ReplyDelete
  12. Very healthy - if you snuggle under it and eat chocolate does it count as one of your 5 a day?

    ReplyDelete
  13. Oh it is so pretty! I never thought I would be addicted to quilts but I think I make finally have to admit that I am a bit... everyone I see I want to make it!

    ReplyDelete
  14. This is awesome. I love your fabric choices. Green has always been a favorite of mime.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking the time to leave a comment. I read every single one and love hearing what you have to say. I do my best to reply to every comment. Although sometimes that's not possible. :-)