Friday, 18 May 2012

Ferris Wheel Completed!

Completed Ferris Wheel
Ferris Wheel Along

I've spent most of the afternoon since I got home from work finishing the main part of the ferris wheel. I now have to decide whether to paper piece the background parts or (and this is what I'm leaning towards.) applique this onto some linen and then quilt. All suggestions gratefully received.  

I mentioned in my last post that Chief had submitted his first photography assignment for a course he's doing. He was understandably apprehensive as you never know when you first send something off to a tutor how well you've done. More importantly have you understood what's required of you and interpreted the brief correctly.  He's been waiting the last few days to hear back and was trying to be philosophical about it and said; Well, what's the worst that can happen? I've completely messed it up and have to re do it. I was quietly confident. I'd seen what he was going to submit. I didn't want to build his hopes up because at the end of the day I'm only a beginner and not the course tutor.  But having seen his work I though well if that's not good enough the course must be full of David Bailey's and if they're that good, why on earth do they need this course! 

Anyway, I got a text this morning from a rather shocked Chief who had got his marks back.  He'd actually got a distinction. I tell you when I got that text I was grinning like an idiot for ages, so he must have been doing a happy dance round camp. (Yeah, if you actually know Chief this might conjure up quite an image!) It also turned out after speaking to his tutor that he was allowed to use photoshop for more than a bit of cropping or turning something black and white. He'd thought this might be cheating. When his tutor found out  his work was largely unedited he was even more impressed.  Also it's pretty rare to get a distinction on the first assignment so he's set the bar pretty high for future submissions.  Chief's now telling me he needs to buy more lens and better quality ones more expensive ones.  Ha! at least he can never complain about fabric purchasing because fabric is so much cheaper than the sorts of kit he's after ;-)

Have a great weekend!



16 comments:

  1. Congratulations to both of you!! Do we get to see the photo now?!

    If you're planning a plain background for your gorgeous ferris wheel then I'd also be inclined to appliqué it so that there aren't any seams to distract the eye...have fun with it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hurray for Chef! What a boon to have your first attempts loved.

    ReplyDelete
  3. finished already! It looks great: I have done very little sewing this week :-(. Great news for Chief with the photography

    ReplyDelete
  4. well done to you both xx... what a way to start the weekend xx

    ReplyDelete
  5. Your Ferris Wheel is just beautiful and kudos to Chief. Woot woot!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Well done Chief! And some pretty gorgeous looking sewing from you too. Happy all round!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Great ferris wheel :) Yay for Chief!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Congrats to Chief, and I am in love your Ferris Wheel. I machine stitched my hexie panels to the backing as close to the outer edge as I could manage (1/8th"), so much easier and quicker, and neater than my hand appliqué would have been x

    ReplyDelete
  9. Well done Chief! That's a great boost to his self-confidence. What a talented pair you are! Your ferris wheel is beaut, and I'd be getting it onto a cushion front quick smart so I could admire it all day! Jxo

    ReplyDelete
  10. Well done to Chief, look forward to seeing some of his work.
    Really interested to see your Ferris Wheel as I have downloaded the patterns and collecting the fabrics from my stash...I think I might go down the squaring it off path but not committing yet.Still to cut my first paper...

    ReplyDelete
  11. Oh yeah, camera kit knocks fabric costs out of the park lol Congrats to him, and love the ferris wheel

    ReplyDelete
  12. The ferris wheel is wonderful!
    Congratulations Chief!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Gorgeous ferris wheel. You are a making machine!

    Congrats to chief. Would love to see the photo!

    ReplyDelete
  14. LOOOVE your ferris wheel! My first thought was applique it on something but then I'm lazy!!

    Big congrats to Chief!! It's great to have your work validated like that but he's got his work cut out now keeping up the standard!! So, yeah, he NEEDS new lenses. Like you NEED that stack of Summersville you've been eyeing up. *g*

    ReplyDelete
  15. Oh, I LOVE your Ferris wheel, looks like you're both achieving!

    x

    ReplyDelete
  16. Oh I love the ferris wheel!

    That is awesome for the chief!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking the time to leave a comment. I read every single one and love hearing what you have to say. I do my best to reply to every comment. Although sometimes that's not possible. :-)