Tuesday, 19 June 2012

I blame the elves.

IMG_4427ps
Ferris Wheel Cushion Finished.

I have started this post off with a lovely picture of my finished Ferris Wheel cushion. That way if you don't want to read on about the drama of completing it this afternoon you can leave now and go and make a framed purse or king sized quilt. You know something fun. 

I should have known I was going to have a few drama's when the fusible fleece I ordered to complete this cushion arrived and it wasn't fusible. Not the fault of the shop. My fault. I had ordered the wrong product. Probably because I'd been looking at so many options, in several online shops. Anyhow, I knew I had a can of 505 spray baste so I decided to go with what I'd ordered. (Well I have enough of it!)

I decided before I risked using my walking foot again, which has not played nice during my last two attempts to use it, I should try it out on some scrap fabric. I made a little quilt sandwich of the material I was lining the top of the cushion with and the not-fusible-fleece. In case I had issues with speed I sewed really really really slowly.  If I had been sewing any slower I'd have not been using my foot, but turning the wheel manually with my hand.  I was still getting the tiny stitches -  normal stitches thing going on. The little arm seemed to get stuck and then judder as it swapped stitch length. I fiddled about with tension and stitch length as I tend to leave my machine to the same settings and I wondered if the problem was with either of these. 

Then I thought I'd clean the machine out. 

IMG_4429ps
You need another nice picture because this post is getting more depressing by the second ;-)

I couldn't shift a crucial screw, so at one point I was pouring oil into my machine having turned it upside down. It was the only way I could access a section. I even tried WD40 on the naughty screw and the quilting practice I'd just done came in mighty useful as I had to mop up WD40!! I took bits apart, I blew on them to clean stray fluff, I brushed, I gave my machine TLC. 

I then tried the walking foot again and it didn't seem to be so keen to do the juddery arm thing. Woo hoo I thought I could quilt my Ferris Wheel cushion after all! Off into the garden I went with my trusty 505 spray baste and despite giving the layers a jolly good spray they weren't inclined to stick to each other. I can only assume the not-fusible-fleece stuff has some magic (note the sarcasm as I say magic) spray baste repelling properties. Bad basting and a temper mental walking foot are not ideal starts are they?

Back inside I went with the intention of stitching in the ditch around the big block of coloured Ferris Wheels. And do you know what happened? Well whatever, stitch length, tension I set the stitches came out tiny. It was like they stitches had be done by the Elves (of the Elves and the Shoemaker fame.) I mean they were tiny. So small I checked several times to see if there was still thread in my needle, as I couldn't see where I'd stitched! 

It meant the the cushion is not quilted very much. Oh and now my machine is making a lot of noise when I sew. The sort of noise that it makes when it needs a clean out...not after it's had one. Either that or the Elves doing the small stitching have whipped out road drills to annoy me.

So I'm beginning to wonder if I should be saving for a new sewing machine. I have to say I've never particularly wanted to replace my machine. Ok if I won a fancy schmancy one I wouldn't mind. But I've not been hankering after a replacement for my machine - which has been with me 20 years now. I guess I could get it serviced, but it's knowing someone good locally, reliably and cheap! Don't want much do I? 

But for now I'll leave you with a final picture of my cushion. Which I'd have liked to have stitched a frame all the way around, but wasn't risking that with a noisy machine and a naughty walking foot. 


Ferris Wheel Cushion Finished.

This cushion is destined for a spot on my bed. It may not be perfect but the prettiness hides the elves best attempts at sabotage!


19 comments:

  1. Jan, Village Fabrics in Wallingford do sewing machine servicing for £45 I think. Have never used the service, but they always seem very helpful when I go in with my various quilting traumas!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh, and the cushion is beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am truly in love with your cushion. I love the background print with the colours.
    xxxx

    ReplyDelete
  4. Beautiful cushion even despite the trials you had getting it finished! Fusible web (like Pellon Wonder Under) can be used to great effect to make non-fusible fleece fusible. I made the same mistake you did when sewing a bag and ordered the wrong kind. I just ironed a piece of fusible web to the fleece and it worked perfectly.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Sad stories aside, it truly is a beautiful cushion!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love it - you win against the machine troll for sure!
    Like Jenelle's top tip there for future reference xxx

    ReplyDelete
  7. it looks perfect to me. I fmq'd a quilt last weekend and it was the worst job ever. my thread kept breaking and rhe tenion wasn't right. You have my sympathy!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. It looks wonderful! Are there any sewing machine repairers in the phone book? The last time I had a machine serviced I found a wonderful man who came to the house and charged £25 a machine...

    ReplyDelete
  9. The cushion is gorgeous. Love it totally. But the machine. Not idea. I have my machine serviced in Banbury which is a distance, but not an extreme distance from you. I can send you the details of the place I use if you would like.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Sorry you had a hard time but the cushion is absolutely stunning!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Crap! I hate when the machines start playing silly buggers. But your cushion is just wonderful!!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Oh bugger, time to evict the elves I think!

    ReplyDelete
  13. That is GORGEOUS! My machine was doing something similar after paying an arm and a leg to get it serviced and it turned out to be one teeny, tiny screw that was loose! Almost made me crazy - hope yours gets some TLC and acts better for you, soon :-)

    ReplyDelete
  14. I HATE stuff like that but your cushion is wonderful!! A new machine might be a good idea....
    Oh and congrats on your 2nd year of blogging!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Thank you for giving me a smile.....sorry at your expense, though. I can so relate. I REALLY LOVE your cushion!!!

    ReplyDelete
  16. The cushion is absolutely beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Still catching up on blogs - absolutely love your Ferris Wheel. I do hope you have sorted your machine out now.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Love the cushion! I hate it when machines act up! I really need to take mine in for service as well : (

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking the time to leave a comment. I read every single one and love hearing what you have to say. I do my best to reply to every comment. Although sometimes that's not possible. :-)