Thursday, 7 June 2012

Out of my comfort zone and into the frame.

I have been thinking lately that I need to try more 'new' things. To grow as a sewist and not keep making the same old same old or avoid trying things out of my comfort zone in case I mess them up. I have learnt over the last few months that even things I've done time and time again can still go pear shaped, so why not just say what will be will be and get on with some new stuff?

So having never made a framed purse before. And having always been a little fearful because they look tricky. (There is glue and tricky hardware to muster for goodness sake!)  So earlier today, before I thought too hard and talked myself out of it I signed up for In the Frame Swap.  I've already ordered supplies. I've read tutorials and I've also made this rather lovely mosaic.

Frame Purse Inspiration
Click on the picture above and it will take you to flickr,
 where you can view details of who's work these beauties are.

I am set to make a practice one as soon as my supplies arrive. Yes, I am nervous, but excited too. I'm encouraged by the fact many people signing up have only made one pouch before (doing the class at the retreat) so it's not like I'm the only novice in the group. Wish me luck though! 

13 comments:

  1. Woohoo, go you, you can do it :o)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I hope you have loads of fun, it's lovely to see you in the swap!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm in too! They are easy, if a little messy ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  4. My advice would be to put the glue into the frame and not onto the fabric (the way we did it at retreat) otherwise you get into a right sticky mess! Jxo

    ReplyDelete
  5. Good luck, bebe! You'll be fine. Yeah, the glue bit is nerve racking but totally worth it. You can do it!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Just don't inhale too much and you will be fine! You are not the only one making one of these for the first time!

    ReplyDelete
  7. So happy to meet you through the new swap! Your mosaic selection is really lovely!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Snap! I've joined the swap, having never made a frame purse before too :-)
    I'm sure we'll be fine!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I have never done even one, so I am mega nervous! But with all the friendly help around, I expect we will be ok!
    Everything crossed!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Oh you were seduced too! I have never made a framed purse and then there was Nicky says 'you can do it' and foolishly I believed her. My poor, poor partner! It is a case of 'we are in it together'! Di x

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking the time to leave a comment. I read every single one and love hearing what you have to say. I do my best to reply to every comment. Although sometimes that's not possible. :-)