Monday, 2 July 2012

The Farmer and I have split up.

I was never destined to be a farmers wife.  I knew that from the start when I was first seduced. At most I figured I'd be the farmers mistress. I'd flirt, then I'd maybe go off and pursue other interests, before some further dalliance.  But now a year on since our relationship started I've decided that the life of a farmers mistress is no longer fulfilling me and it's time to move on...

If you haven't figured it out yet, I am of course referring to the blocks I made in The Farmers Wife QAL.  Like many people the chance to make traditional blocks using modern fabrics completely seduced me. I bought the book. I made blocks and blogged about them here and here. I created a flickr set of blocks and then I got completely distracted by something else and they have been shoved in a bag in the bottom drawer of my fabric chest.

Don't get me wrong I like the blocks. I enjoyed making them, but I do not want to make the hundreds more that would be required to make even a modest sized lap quilt.  The blocks are only 6" square and so you do need an awful lot of them.  I've felt bad about having them orphaned with no home, but not so bad I actually want to make more.

Then over the weekend I saw these two blocks that Judith made for Fiona in the Brit Bee.  I'd been seeing lots of low volume stacks of fabric appear in my flickr stream over the last few weeks and they do appeal to me. Maybe because they seem the exact opposite of what I'm normally drawn to with the rich jewel bright, rainbow colours.  Having seen these too blocks I'm wondering if I could take some of my Farmers Wife blocks and enlarge them to bigger blocks by using low volume fabrics until I could actually make a quilt out of what I have. I have a couple of other small practice blocks that I could add to the pile. The overall effect would look like a few pops of colour were floating on a mixed neutral background.   I'm thinking this would be the sort of quilt that would benefit from a mixture of machine and hand quilting in different threads.

So I pulled some low volume fabrics from my stash to see if I had enough to make things work.

Low Volume Stack
A mixture of low volume/neutral fabrics including linens

P1120057

So that is what I'm thinking. Is it a good idea? Or should I just hide away those blocks until I come up with something better to do with them? 

18 comments:

  1. I think it is a really cool idea. Go for it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great idea, quite an enviable stash there, it'll look wonderful used like that!

    ReplyDelete
  3. OOO go for it. Some proper lovelies there!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Well they are not any good as they are, so I would take a punt and try a few and then see what you think. I hate half finished projects so this comment is quite predictable! Di x

    ReplyDelete
  5. Go for it - I look forward to seeing more!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Go ahead.....it is a great idea.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I can understand where you are coming from with the FWBs but I think you've hit on a great idea. I would love to see them!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Sounds like a plan - seriously gorgeous fabrics in your stack!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I reckon that is a good idea. I got fed up with my Victory Quilt blocks and slashed them but haven't progressed further. Some things seem destined to lurk in plastic bags forever.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Fun idea! Our challenge for Fiona is a little high volume trad block surrounded by low volume anything we like, so looking forward to seeing what you come up with!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Love the idea! After all, a finish is much better than a WIP!!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Yay - another one that fell off the wagon. I have 30+ FW blocks...gonna find some way to put together a quilt. I adore your fabrics - completely. Can't wait to see what you do!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Oh no! Just an idea!
    What about toning down your 6inch squares by dipping in tea and even doing the same with the beautiful light fabrics too?
    Oh some of those fabrics with the script writing and french images are so absolutely gorgeous - where did you buy these?
    Love Love Love them!
    x Suzy

    ReplyDelete
  14. Try placing them on your carpet Jan - think that will give you a good idea of the quilt - looks like it will work to me!

    ReplyDelete
  15. I think it will look fab!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Ha ha!! I have the book but the farmer and I never got past some gentle flirting! I think that is an amazing plan you have! And, I have to say, I am impressed you managed to pull that pile of fabrics from stash! I have nothing remotely like that in mine - I am bad at having blenders, fillers or quiet small scale things at all.

    ReplyDelete
  17. I think it's a great idea! The farmer never caught my eye (I think I may well be the only quilter that hasn't at least flirted with the idea of flirting with the farmer...) but I can't wait to see what you do with that gorgeous stack of fabric and some pretty little blocks! It won't make me want to move to the country and milk cows though...

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking the time to leave a comment. I read every single one and love hearing what you have to say. I do my best to reply to every comment. Although sometimes that's not possible. :-)