Monday, 23 July 2012

Sunshine Stops Play

Even though I'm aware I have an ever growing list of sewing and sewing-area-sorting stuff I should be getting on with, the gorgeous sunny weather we've had the last few days has seduced me outdoors, in the garden with a book.  I am sort of feeling guilty about it, only not so much that I want to go indoors and sew instead.


Progress so far

I was hoping to have this all pieced for my partner in the Brit Quilt Swap.  I think it looks a bit plain to just leave it like this so I'm thinking my partner would prefer a border of squares round the outside in more DS fabrics.  I hand appliqued the octagon ring onto the linen. In order to avoid any really horrible creases in the linen I fused some light weight interfacing to the back first. It worked wonders in making the hand appliquing go like a dream.  One of the things that appealed to me about octagons in a ring like this was the star shape in the centre.  I love using the DS fabrics and I'm thinking of using them when it comes to my month in the hipBee's. With that in mind I may have ordered some more.  I wasn't going to be buying fabric because I'm saving for a new sewing machine. However, Hadley made me do it. She practically gave me a Chinese burn, whilst kicking me in the shins and threatening to steal my stash (apart from any brown fabrics obviously) by pointing out the great value bundle you cold get over at Jo's shop.  I'll look forward to getting that in the mail. It's been ages since I've had a good mail day!






10 comments:

  1. Will you lot down south stop going on about the sun please, it's poured extra hard here all flipping day, it's due to go on all night and all tomorrow and I have to do a 10k after work!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hee hee - you are truly my partner in crime!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. That Hadley is one tough customer. You tell your bank manager it is all her fault!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ahhh never can get enough DS...

    ReplyDelete
  5. Lovely mini. Fancy having to buy fabric under duress! I look forward to sewing with it though ;) Di x

    ReplyDelete
  6. Naughty Hadley! ALL her fault. *nods sagely* But, oh crap, I'm visiting Jo's shop on Sunday. My poor card may be red hot!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I had a great mail day today, will blog them tomorrow. When the sun comes out like it has then the only thing to do is sit outside

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oh I am so behind! I totally missed the giveaway!
    Octagons! Who knew?!? Love the star center!
    I have a DC 2010 I love it. If I were buying now I would have gone at least one model up since mine doesn't have the ability for free motion. I didn't even realize how much I'd want this later. I tried quite a few I don't think you could go wrong with them. I had no idea how much having a new machine would make me enjoy sewing... I hated my old one so much that I actually just thought I didn't enjoy sewing that much- which is why I didn't go for a more expensive machine.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Naughty Hadley, forcing you to buy fabric like that...you must be traumatised ;o) Your BQS mini is looking marvellous!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I love that star in the middle too.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking the time to leave a comment. I read every single one and love hearing what you have to say. I do my best to reply to every comment. Although sometimes that's not possible. :-)