Wednesday, 4 July 2012

Under the Influence of Drink

I'm not really a drinker. The most I may manage is a couple of glasses of bitter shandy, the odd glass of wine or maybe something a bit more exotic. But most of the time I really can't see the need or the appeal. I'm not anti drink.  I've just never felt the need to get absolutely trollied in order to have a good time and a lot of the time alcohol makes me feel really rubbish within a short while of consuming. Friends may have stories of things I've done on nights out, presumably under the influence of drink. But I'll confess I was probably stone cold sober as if I was that drunk I'd be unable to function. (Not get up and dance on the bar.)

So it is a bit of surprise that tonight I've had a couple of glasses of wine. I'm not sure what made me. It just seemed like a good idea at the time.  And do you know what? (I may be obliviously typing gibberish here, that I'll regret tomorrow morning.) I sewed up my third low volume block whilst under the influence and not only was it the quickest block, the most fun block, but my favourite block!

First though, here is block #2. Made this afternoon when I got in from work.

Low Volume Block #2
Lots of light quiet fabrics along with a slightly noisier farmers wife block.

It's only crumpled in the picture because it was very windy in the garden when I took this.  I've decided a few of my Farmers Wife blocks are a bit shouty for this project so I thought it might be fun to not only make some new blocks, but try some new techniques.  I have no idea how to make porthole blocks as I didn't go to the retreat and learn with Lu Summers. Not that I'm bitter. And I don't generally do curves and circles because they are too scary. After a glass of vino not only was I making my first port hole type block without a safety net instructions but, I was inventing my way of doing it too. I had thought about piecing the centre of the port hole, but I figured even without the vino this could go horribly wrong, so maybe I should use some less than precious fabric and not something I'd spent hours working on.  The fabric then made me think of bugs collected on a field trip and science classes at school: Microscopes, typing up results on the computer, plotting results etc and I had a theme for the surrounding elements of the block. 

Low Volume #3 The Field Trip Block
Block #3 The Field Trip Block.

I really really love this block. (Oh dear, did that sound a bit drunkard-talking-to-everyone-they-meet?) Anyway, whilst I would not suggest drinking and operating a sewing machine, let alone a rotary cutter, I have to say on this occasion it worked out a treat for me. Now to dream up the next blocks...oh and finish my wine!

18 comments:

  1. You are too funny - but these have turned out to be lovely blocks!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Drinking alone eh.... deary me... LOL looks like its done your sewing no harm anyway, blocks are great.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hope you get a lie in tomorrow! Love the blocks and the porthole is brilliant!

    ReplyDelete
  4. ha ha, funny post :-) Love your porthole block: I have yet to try that but its on my wish list. Yours looks fantastic

    ReplyDelete
  5. lol :) The blocks are great, the wine obviously agrees with you :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. I think you and I are going to Have to go if they do a retreat next year- we seem to have missed some fun!
    Like your blocks, sewn under the influence or not!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Cool blocks! I discovered that I sew quite well whilst under the influence - perhaps that's the secret!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Good blocks. Obviously you see at your best under the influence! Di x

    ReplyDelete
  9. *sew! And I'm not under the influence of vino!

    ReplyDelete
  10. You need to drink more often ! Within reason of course!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Looks like you found some quilt fuel!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Beautiful blocks! Your post made me chuckle :-)

    ReplyDelete
  13. LOVELOVELOVE that block, Jan!! Now get over here and sit on my knee and we'll do a drunken girls arms-length camera photo shoot. *g* I have a lot of photos like that and I imbibe about as much as you do!

    ReplyDelete
  14. ROFL, drunken quilting, brings a whole new meaning to drunkard's path... I love the 2nd one more too (although the 1st one is nice)

    ReplyDelete
  15. I love your 'I'm not drunk' block - it's wonderful!!! (I also love the first block...wouldn't want it to feel unloved!)

    ReplyDelete
  16. I think this is the first drunk post I've ever read!! Certainly made you work your magic on these lovely blocks! Jxo

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking the time to leave a comment. I read every single one and love hearing what you have to say. I do my best to reply to every comment. Although sometimes that's not possible. :-)