Friday, 3 August 2012

RIP Bob The Fire Eater

When I logged onto Facebook this afternoon I was greeted with the news that on Wednesday Bob The Fire Eater had died. The name will probably not mean much to the majority of people reading this.  But Bob was the man who showed me how to do this:

I'm really a dragon
Can you see the face in the flame? 
The chap sat on his own on the bank behind is Bob the Fire Eater.
and this:

DSC07386
One of the few pics of me fire eating where I don't look like an idiot. Some of the best full flame attempts weren't captured because onlookers tend to just on look and forget all about taking pics.

In fact I blogged about learning to fire eat in this Favourite Things Friday.  It really is up there with the most amazing things I've ever done.  Bob was quite a character; he was dedicated to making sure we each got the most out of the experience and a huge part of the day was spent confidence building and learning about the science behind what we were about to do once the fire brands came out. I found the fire eating side a challenge. Finding my mouth seemed to be difficult thing for me. So Bob took me to one side, told me to open my mouth and he repeatedly put the flaming brand into my mouth for me to extinguish. So easy to do it with his help. Although most people seemed to think they'd be far less trusting of having a complete stranger put a flame into their mouth!


This is how much barrier cream you need.
Plenty of humour in his workshops as he showed us just how much 
barrier cream to use for the Fire Breathing part of the day.


Bob the Fire Eater
Bob The Fire Eater - RIP.


Oh and Ada - thank you for your lovely comments recently which I can't reply to personally because you're set as a no reply blogger.

9 comments:

  1. Wow! Look at you! Didn't know you'd done this, it's impressive. Sorry about the death of your fire eating trainer.

    ReplyDelete
  2. wow that's an impressive skill to have on your CV! Sad news about your mentor :(

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow, this looks impressive!
    I finally managed to fix the NO REPLY. It took me a long time of searching but I finally found someone with the same problem, who was able to fix it. Now I still have to get my JOIN FRIEND CONNECT back!

    ReplyDelete
  4. So sorry...I do hope his demise wasn't related to his fire eating activities.

    ReplyDelete
  5. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wow, I can't believe it's been so long since I've caught up with your blog. So sorry about your friend. I remember you showing this and thinking how very cool it was that you did this!
    You are very inspiring, keeping up with your sewing and blogging in spite of health issues and all. I LOVE all of the new things you've done!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking the time to leave a comment. I read every single one and love hearing what you have to say. I do my best to reply to every comment. Although sometimes that's not possible. :-)