Sunday, 30 September 2012

Mouthy Stitches Tote.

Sunday 30 September. Where did September go? Mine wasn't especially busy it just seemed to fly by.  Which is surprising as time usually drags if you're in the doldrums and I've certainly felt that way the last week or so.  I think Chief made extra effort to come down on Friday so he could give me a hug.  Today I've cheered myself up by finishing my tote for the Mouthy Stitches Swap. I really hope my partner likes. I mean REALLY. If there is any doubt I'm keeping it because just looking at it cheers me up and it did take a lot of work so I'd hate it going to a home where it isn't really liked. ::wink:: ::wink::


IMG_5557

I sewed the hexies together this morning before lunch. I have decided that 1" hexies might be the optimum size for quick basing and piecing.  The longest bit for me is always deciding exactly which fabrics to use.  In the above picture you can just see my quick fix to where I'd messed up the size of the back of the bag.  I pieced together some small rainbow scraps (I am trying not to keep every teeny tiny scrap - but sometimes they do come in useful!) and trimmed them into a strip which I pieced between two bits of the linen. It gives the back a satisfying pop of colour.

I decided to go for the Erin McMorris - Summersault fabric for the lining. I thought it had a good mix of colours in it so it would work well with the rainbow hexies.  Whilst you could use this side of the tote as a bag, I'm hoping my partner will like the 'proper' side so much she never wants to reverse it. In that case I think this fabric makes for a super cheery lining.

IMG_5563

But onto the bag. Now first off I have to say I really struggled getting pictures in here as the light is so rubbish so I need to get some nicer pictures outside. So just believe me when I say this bag looks much lovelier in person.


IMG_5567
Yep I need to get the big ironing board out and give this
a proper press!

The outside is interfaced with some fleece and then quilted with Perle in rainbow colours. Due to the space dyed nature of the linen not all the Perle shows up that well. It does give the bag a nice stiffness. (For those who like a stiff one.)  It does however make the top seam much thicker than the lining and previous experience with bag making has taught me that it can be incredibly hard getting the material nice and flat to top stitch if the external material is much more substantial than the lining material (or vice versa). Therefore I opted for not turning the lining fully through. I let it sit on the top edge of the bag outer and gave it a good press. I did a layer of top stitching to close up the turned through hole and then another layer of top stitching nearer the top edge. Not only has this given a pop of lining colour to the top of the bag, it's also strengthened the join on the handles and made the handle material look more unified with the rest of the bag.

Now I just need to get these pictures in the Flickr group and hope my partner likes it. Or I'll be keeping this one!


19 comments:

  1. Oh, I love the tote!! Those colours are just fantastic

    ReplyDelete
  2. It is gorgeous and the lining or other side is fabulous!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Well done you!! Fantastic tote with a lovely finish. The hexies look brilliant.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I really love it, so I tote-ally hope its for me :D

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oooh lovely...and I put on my form I don't like hexies!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love it, if I am not your partner just send it to me instead! I especially love how you finished the top of the bag, I might do something like that too.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Your bag is lovely! Rest assure..if I'm your partner...I love it!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Stunning! And we'll done you for finishing already!

    ReplyDelete
  9. SO lovely! And I agree with you, how can tomorrow be October already?!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Oh Jan you are the perfect Mouthy Stitcher - this is fantastic!

    ReplyDelete
  11. it is gorgeous your partner cannot do anything but love it !!
    hope you have been enjoying the new machine !!!

    ReplyDelete
  12. How could she not like it! It's stunning! Well done! Jxo

    ReplyDelete
  13. it's beautiful! And I am hoping it's for me because I do indeed love a stiff one. (snort)

    ReplyDelete
  14. You're all done - gahhh! I'm still waiting for my backing fabric! I could get started on the block I guess. Your tote is beautiful and if I'm your partner you have totally misread my mosaic ;-) but I'm nevertheless amazingly thrilled!!!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Oh it looks fab! With fusible fleece, I usually trim it back to the seam allowance amount so that I don't have extra bulk when turning :o)

    ReplyDelete
  16. It's super! Love the rainbow hexies and I'm sure your partner will too....is it me? Come on...tell me...

    ReplyDelete
  17. love it! love the stitching!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking the time to leave a comment. I read every single one and love hearing what you have to say. I do my best to reply to every comment. Although sometimes that's not possible. :-)