Thursday, 20 September 2012

Thursday Titbits

I went to the dentist this afternoon. A sure fire way of spending money you don't want to, if ever there was one. I have to go back for a teeny tiny filling. It's in a front tooth and if I hadn't had major problems with the other front tooth the dentist said she'd leave it be. But as the opposing tooth had a cyst attached to it she's hoping to prevent any potential problems sooner rather than later.  I will also be having the other tooth x-rayed - the first time since the dental surgery.  She wants to just check the cyst hasn't grown back and isn't silently growing waiting to cause a problem. Lets hope not. That surgery was not fun.  It maybe a tiny teeny filling but the bills not looking that small. Gulp! That said now I know I won't be shelling out for any major dentistry in the next month - at least I hope not. I'm going to be able to go buy my sewing machine! Yay! I'd do it tomorrow if I wasn't out all day. Still it'll wait until next week I'm sure! Although now I've seen the Retreat tickets are about to go on sale maybe I should be saving my pennies for that!

There has been other fabric goodies arriving around here - although I've tried to be careful with my fabric spending so I don't blow the sewing machine budget.

First up though is this that I ordered from Spoonflower after getting the heads up from Susan.


IMG_5334
Heather Ross Campervans

I've always wanted some Heather Ross Campervans to play with and whilst I have one in a mini quilt made for me in a swap I had none to use myself.  Chief wants to get a campervan (of some kind at least) when he leaves the army. He has visions of us roaming around the countryside in one.  I always have three questions when he shares this little dream: 1)Am I coming  2) Does this mean I get to retire when you do? 3) It'll have it's own bathroom right? I don't fancy roughing it in public shower blocks/toilets when I'm a retired Laydee.

My next bit of fabric goodness was from Simply Solids. Mandy has sold the business on to Justine. Of course most of you reading this will have known that already as you'd need to have been living on another planet not to know. Justine had an offer on at the weekend of a random fat quarter with orders over £10. I really needed some Essex linen to finish off a couple of projects that have been hanging about for far too long. I got a nice Christmassy fat quarter. The Simply Solids website is down at the moment for a spot of Autumn cleaning but I'm excited about how Justine will grow this business.


IMG_5335
Essex Linen in Putty and...forgotten already

Then today I got my hands on another Spoonflower freebie quarter because I told my Mum she had to order one, of my choice and no Mum you don't get to keep it you don't sew!

Woof Woof!
I love that the packer did a little picture of a dog and a 'woof' on the packing slip!

The highlight of my day was nervously delivering the baby quilt this morning. I handed it over to my colleague who has just become a dad for the third time. When he found out the parcel was home made he said he'd open it in the office and not wait and give it to his wife to open. I did feel sort of nervous and excited because if this colleague doesn't like something he's forthright enough to not hide the fact. Not everyone does hand made do they? Anyway, he opened it up and said, "You said you made this. But which bit?" I was a bit confused so walked over to his desk and said "Um all of it." "Yeah but you didn't make this bit did you?" He had the quilt turned over and was stroking the bliss flowers - or so I thought. So I said, "Well I didn't make the fabric. But it's patchwork, the front is different bits sewn together and the back is just one bit of fabric." "Oh - yeah but how did you get this bit on it, " He asked stroking the quilting. It took me a few minutes explaining it was quilting and I'd done it on a sewing machine (albeit two sewing machines both temperamental.)  Needless to say he was impressed and thought it was better than a shop bought gift. His wife also phoned me after he'd delivered it to say how much she loved it and he phoned me later in the day to tell me the same thing. As you can imagine it made my day!

I've also been invited to join my first ever blog hop. I'm so excited. I'm sure Katy said that I could only play if I went somewhere and took pictures. I think she may have said I *have* to buy fabric too (I may have made that up) If you haven't heard about the blog hop details are here:


22 comments:

  1. Such a fun post. I love your description of the father who doesn't know too much about quilting! lol

    ReplyDelete
  2. I should add that the part about the dentist was not fun. Nothing about the dentist is fun!

    ReplyDelete
  3. so glad they loved it! No surprise though - it is lovely!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yay for Spoonflower! And of course they loved the quilt. How could they not?!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. phew!! they liked the present...how could they not!!? I am SURE the rules say you MUST buy fabric!! lol x

    ReplyDelete
  6. So glad they liked the quilt, although they would have been mad not to have!

    ReplyDelete
  7. What a lovely reaction to the quilt giving, a well deserved one too.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Yeah....not to the dentist, to the gift giving!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Oh wait a minute, I think I got that memo too, if you're taking part in that bloghop you are REQUIRED to buy more fabric.... for reals...
    Nice to hear a gift was properly appreciated :-) And please no more of the D word, not without warning anyway.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Your week has almost mirrored mine- I went to the dentist, bought the same Spoonflower fabric and am in my first blog hop - the same one as yours! Of course the new parents loved your quilt- its gorgeous!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Who wouldn't love a handmade baby quilt? I just went to a quilting seminar and the day before my tooth started to ache! It's under control now, but I think that maybe I have to go and see the dentist!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Real newsy post. Nice fabric from Spoonflower and you must have a warm glow to know how much the baby quilt was liked. Good job Mrs.

    Just to warn you a camper an is only one up from a tent and it is endurance. Don't retire.....!
    Now I'm off to check out the blog hop.
    Di x

    ReplyDelete
  13. Great reaction from your colleague! Makes the giving all the more special! Lovely purchases too! Jxo

    ReplyDelete
  14. Snap, I got the camper vans too! Love the packing slip on the dogs though lol Glad they both appreciated the quilt too

    ReplyDelete
  15. So glad your quilt was lovingly received!
    Fun fabrics and fun news about the bloghop!

    ReplyDelete
  16. ooooo fab, looking forward to your blog hop post - and glad the quilt went down well x

    ReplyDelete
  17. I love your description of the confused quilt recipient! Some people get so confused by handmade things. I am going to be a stop on the bloghop too, and my first too!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Excellent! Apart from the dentist - never go near one unless I have to and I have to put a brave face on it as the kids come too!

    ReplyDelete
  19. Ugh, 'tooth' and 'dentist' in the same sentence. And then 'filling', 'cyst' and 'surgery' - are you trying to make me curl up in a corner?!!

    I hope you get to order your new machine next week - you've been very patient and deserve a reward, maybe fabric? And you'll also need to celebrate the arrival of a new machine so maybe you should start looking for fabric for that occasion, too!

    Your story about the new dad and the quilt is wonderful - bless him!

    ReplyDelete
  20. what an awesome reaction to your handover of the quilt brill love both your spoonflower goodies! x

    ReplyDelete
  21. Love the Spoonflower goodies - I got extra too, and bought one! I think we are living Chief's dream - it was our dream for 15 years and it finally came true...the only thing we would do different is that we wish we had bought the van earlier...while we were still in.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking the time to leave a comment. I read every single one and love hearing what you have to say. I do my best to reply to every comment. Although sometimes that's not possible. :-)