Monday, 17 September 2012

When Bad Projects Turn Good

Do you remember when I bought this fabric and told you my plans for it here?  Well Umm I actually did start cutting the fabric into charm squares. I had a couple of rotary related accidents with it and certain bits ended up with quite a gash in them. But we won't dwell on that. I sewed one row of charm squares, realised I was aiming for something so big I'd never get it finished, and popped everything into a zip lock bag and placed it in one of my fabric drawers. It's laid there ever since. Needing to be finished. Needing a plan. And over the weekend I came across it again and on closer inspection I realised how wonky a lot of the charms were. I suspect this is why I'd not done much with making a smaller version of my original plan. I must have had a really REALLY bad day cutting that fabric.  Then I hit upon a plan, a plan I could put into action today.

You see one of my colleagues wives was expecting a baby and this seemed like a mighty fine opportunity for me to make a baby quilt.  I wanted to wait until I knew whether it was a boy or girl before I actually made the quilt.  Well the baby arrived yesterday and is a little girl.  So it seemed a great idea to use some of the charms to make a baby quilt. I figured if I used this pattern by Elizabeth Hartman, I could utilise some of the wonky charms by trimming them down to a more level 2.5" x 5".  So a spot of cutting on the living room floor while I watched a double bill of Only Fools and Horses and I'd got enough.  After dinner I whipped up the quilt using some Klona Medium Grey (I think.)


366-261 17 September 2012
Sorry about the bad picture - light not great and not helped by the bulb that's
 gone and I can't replace until it's day light and I can see what I'm doing.

I think the Kona Bubble Gum Pink adds a nice pop of colour.   I have still not ordered my new sewing machine so I have two options. I can either wait until I get my new machine to quilt it (I'm hoping the end of this week I can place the order) or I can use the Brother for some Free Motion Quilting. I'm thinking large stipple...Mmm do I have enough thread?  What I can't risk is using my old Janome to do straight lines. It's already proven itself incapable of quilting - with or without the aid of a walking foot.  Either way I think a bad project has definitely turned good and another unfinished has been rescued from the depths of the Unfinished Pile!


17 comments:

  1. It looks very good now Jan! Yeah to a quick finish!

    ReplyDelete
  2. that's lovely! I'm sure the new parents will love it!

    ReplyDelete
  3. It looks great. The new parents will love it!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Well done!

    Try quilting it with a pale turquoise thread for another pop of fun color.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Such a great finish and beautiful welcoming gift for the newborn. Hooray for making good.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Lovely baby quilt, just perfect for a little girl :-)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh man, good luck with the finish, but it's looking great so far :o)

    ReplyDelete
  8. You done real good with those blocks. Bubblegum and all.

    ReplyDelete
  9. It looks fantastic Jan, and will make a great gift. I think big stipples will look great

    ReplyDelete
  10. Oh we like happy mistakes! Looking great Jan.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I think it's great! The bubble gum works so very well. Perfect baby quilt.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Nice work!! It looks really cute! I think some fmq would be perfect :)

    ReplyDelete
  13. What a lucky baby!!! Gorgeous!

    ReplyDelete
  14. What a lucky baby!!! Gorgeous!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking the time to leave a comment. I read every single one and love hearing what you have to say. I do my best to reply to every comment. Although sometimes that's not possible. :-)