Tuesday, 16 October 2012

Doh!

To quote the immortal Homer Simpson.

Quilting begins 

I've messed up so many times this afternoon I really am surprised I'm not running round the living room like a lunatic pulling clumps of my hair out whilst screaming.  So no shouting at me Hadley, I'm having a time out with a cuppa.

By the time I went to bed last night Mum's quilt top was pieced. I got into bed, reached behind the bed where I have some packs of wadding stashed only to discover that the two I had were both too small. I had no time to get any delivered so resolved I'd join a couple of packs together.

So I get home from work today and start to piece the quilt back. I don't like piecing quilt backs which is why I like quilts that use WOF, so the most I have to do is go and stitch a few strips together. I had a yard of one of the big scale prints from It's a Hoot and figured I could sash either side with some Kona Ash.  I had another yard of one of the blenders from the line and thought I could put a band top and bottom of the feature print panel, again sashed in Kona Ash. I measured cut and sewed. Only somehow when I started sewing the top and bottom panels they didn't line up. I must have cut the fabric the wrong way so the length was actually different to the feature panel. As time was up against me I left it thinking I could stick a label over that bit. It's not out by much and it is the back.

Then I moved on to the joining of the batting. This is where Frankenwadding was born. I had a pack of wadding in my scraps so I thought I could use that rather than both of the packs I'd had behind my bed. Only when I opened up the pack I'd already used some previously. Not to worry I thought and I set about cutting and zigzagging the two bits of wadding together. (I had to add in another bit where it just fell short.) So far so good. Until I laid it on the backing piece and realised I'd joined the wadding to the wrong end and I now had a really long narrowish length of wadding. Hmmm Ok I'd be using both packs from behind the bed after all. I measured, cut and joined a strip of wadding and went back to the machine to zig zag. Job done.

You know what's coming next don't you?

I zigzagged the strip onto the wadding and trimmed off the excess. There was quite a chunk of excess....I laid it on the backing and Wow! Now I had a really REALLY long narrowish strip of backing. Out came the scissors again. More chopping more joining and I finally sewed the extra where it should be. A few wrinkles in one part which I'm hoping will not cause too many drama's as they're near the edge. I laid the quilt top on the batting and started to baste. Out came the safety pins. I just got to the bottom where I still had quite an overhang of batting. I put my hand under one edge where I could feel it was caught up and on lifting up the batting I discovered the back was smaller than the top!!!!!!!

So now I did something that will tell you exactly why I'd never get into one of those proper quilt guilds. I joined some strips cut from some FQ's I had of this range and without pinning I picked up the basted quilt and went and joined an extra strip on the bottom of the back whilst the rest of the quilt was basted.

(I'm picturing a few people gasping in shock, one fainting, one wondering what sort of blog this is and the majority of you laughing your F****ing heads off!)

We need not mention that whilst this was going on I was trying to unsuccessfully load new internet security on my lap top. Or the bit where I discovered I couldn't put together the table extension to my sewing machine.

Anyway, I've started straight line quilting.

And if you're as dopey as me with this quilt maths measuring wotsit then I suggest you follow this series over at Lily's Quilts.


Lily's Quilts Math

I intend using the first post to calculate how much binding I need to make. As it seems more sensible than guessing like I normally do and either finding I'm 6 inches short of binding and having to join a bit on whilst the rest is attached to the sewing machine or I make so much I could use it to gift wrap my house.






14 comments:

  1. Hilarious! But, actually, sounds exactly like the sort of thing I would do!
    R x

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ok, pick me up off the floor, I laughed so much I fell out the chair! Good luck quilting!

    ReplyDelete
  3. lol :) Oh Jan, that sounds like a nightmare! I hope you the binding causes you less stress :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Brilliant! Well not really brilliant, terrible, but made me feel better ;)

    ReplyDelete
  5. It's like looking in the mirror I tell you...I've just ordered my backing and binding for my mum's quilt so now I have to continue piecing. Bon courage!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'm on the floor with Trudi! What a s**t time of it. This quilt better be loved big time with all the blood, sweat, tears and secret sewing going not it!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love it, your solution was perfect, why would you do anything else but just sew a strip on! It is going to be the best quilt, think of the stories.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I could have written the story! Things like that happen to me all the time! I've become very good in "fixing"!

    ReplyDelete
  9. You drank only tea? I think I may have hit the hard stuff!
    Di x

    ReplyDelete
  10. Oh no! You poor thing (even though I'm smiling!). One thing's for sure - you are resourceful and imaginative at solving problems! A* for getting yourself out of a pickle. Jxo

    ReplyDelete
  11. I hope you've got chocolate or cake with that cup of tea!! Honestly it sounds like the sort of nightmare where you wish you'd stopped after the first mistake...I never do though, I just plough on and make a different mistake for each one I fix!!

    ReplyDelete
  12. I feel bad that this made me laugh so hard!!

    ReplyDelete
  13. aaahhh, sounds like all the things I would do!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking the time to leave a comment. I read every single one and love hearing what you have to say. I do my best to reply to every comment. Although sometimes that's not possible. :-)