Monday, 8 October 2012

Getting to know me...getting to know very little about me...

fqlondon2103

Well it seems the build up to the retreat has already started with the first get-to-know-you-early-linky-party starting on the Fat Quarterly site.  Apologies in advance to anyone not going to the retreat next year. I'm really sad to hear that so many people I'd hoped to get to meet aren't going to be able to make it. I appreciate you will get sick to death of hearing about the retreat so will try and keep my build up posts to a sensible minimum.

I didn't go to the retreat last year.  I was super excited about it. In fact I seem to remember emailing Lynne long before it was announced saying that we had to have our own sewing summit type event in the UK and she'd have to organise it - what with her being the Queen of Brit Quilt and all.  I can't remember her response, if I was her I'd have told me not to be so bloomin' cheeky. When the retreat was announced she probably thought I'd have been the first to sign up. Especially as it was located just 50 miles up the road from me in London.

But then when the dates were announced it was the Jubilee weekend and I just couldn't commit to tying up that weekend so far in advance. For those who don't know my other half  (referred to as 'Chief' on this blog) is in the army and lives a five hour round trip away from me.  As a result it can be very difficult to make plans to get together and often bank holiday's are great times for us to actually get a whole day and night together. In the whole of our relationship I don't think we've spent more than three nights in a row together! But that's another story.  Add to that the cost, travelling on the Jubilee weekend to the place (London) where it was all going on and suddenly I was faced with the gutting decision of saying 'no'.

Cue lots of tears and Chief trying to cheer me up.  (Which might have worked a whole lot better if he'd bought me, oh I dunno... a whole stack of fabric?) I was determined to go next year.  I loved reading the build up to the retreat and really enjoyed seeing all the photographs and hearing all about retreat last year. Although I'd be fibbing on a massive scale, if I didn't confess and say that for about 6 weeks before the retreat when every Brit quilter blog post, flickr swap etc focused on going to the retreat or making stuff for the retreat, I was feeling really left out and a bit in the dumps about it all.

What was great for me (although maybe not for her) was the Katy breaking down a couple of miles up the road from me at Oxford Services on the way home. You can read all about that here. In fact Katy and I have co-ordinated travelling to the retreat and accommodation together. We're booked into The Grange, Strathmore.

I am most looking forward to meeting people I've been getting to know via blogs and flickr swaps and lots of new people I'm yet to discover yet. I should warn you though if you're in any way famous to me I am likely to  point at you when we meet and exclaim at you who you are. Like you didn't know. But at least you're forewarned. I am also looking forward to learning new stuff and taking about a zillion photographs of absolutely everything. I am also hoping there is another of those name tag swaps. I so wanted a badge with my name on it...

Oh and just so you know who I am:

IMG_4131ps 

 In my head I'm far cooler than I am in real life. So whilst I have visions of turning up at the retreat dressed in a little something I whipped up a la verykerryberry, I'm most likely going to be the one with my skirt caught in my knickers and odd shoes on.  If you can't find me for a natter at the retreat just ask one of the organisers where the naughty step is as I've a feeling I maybe sat on it...








19 comments:

  1. Such a great post - can't wait to meet you! And untuck your knickers of course.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This did make me laugh :-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Well done Jan.I have made the very difficult decision not to go, boo hoo.
    My sewing bee pals and I have pretty much decided that we have to do the Festival of Quilts next year, having missed a few and it is only a few weeks after retreat so from a cost point of view, something had to give.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Brilliant blog post.
    You ROCK!
    I am just hoping that they don't sell out of tickets before I have auctioned off enough internal organs and anything not nailed down in the house, to get mine and join you there.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Glad to have you as a roomie. I'll check your skirt before you go in though... and check that it's caught in your tights too ;o)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hahaha, will they be sexy la senza or plain ole m&s?!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Haha! I was so overwhelmed last year I kept forgetting my blog name so I will need you standing beside me!

    Will be very pleased to meet you Jan - skirt in knickers or not!

    ReplyDelete
  8. ha ha, great post: really looking forward to meeting you

    ReplyDelete
  9. Looking forward to meeting you in London next year! Now you're part of all the fun :o)

    ReplyDelete
  10. You need to start exercising those smile muscles, or they will ache when it's over. So glad you will be there this time xxx

    ReplyDelete
  11. Absolutely love the post, and that final paragraph. Great intro!

    ReplyDelete
  12. So glad that we will finally get to meet in person. It was really friendly this year and it will be next year so untuck your dress and enjoy yourself. Di x

    ReplyDelete
  13. Great post Jan - you will have a ball although sad I won't get to meet you.

    ReplyDelete
  14. what a great post, Jan! Would love to meet you there, but at the moment I'm still saving my pennies and hoping there'll be a ticket left by the time I have

    ReplyDelete
  15. Love it! I'm going too, am very excited!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Ha, ha, I was really grumpy when i couldn't go this year too, and seeing all of the amazing photos, workshops and items made, just made me feel worse! I will definitely be going next year, ticket all booked, and i'm really looking forward to it- see you there! Ange x

    ReplyDelete
  17. What a great post! I'm not going to the retreat but I'm already looking forward to seeing all the tweets/instagram photos/blog posts about it!
    P.S. Maybe you could embroider your name and blog name on the back of your knickers so people recognise you from behind?!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Just catching up on my blog reading. I'm going with my friend and she booked the Grange too. Super excited as I missed last year. Hope it's a big naughty step as I might be on it too!

    ReplyDelete
  19. How cool. You'll have a blast. I believe you are far cooler than you believe you are...

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking the time to leave a comment. I read every single one and love hearing what you have to say. I do my best to reply to every comment. Although sometimes that's not possible. :-)