Sunday, 14 October 2012

Hexagon Key Fob Tutorial

To make up for being such a tease in the last blog post telling you how I'd be making, but not sharing much with you, I decided to take pictures of the key fob I made my partner in round two of Mouthy Stitches, as I went along and now I have a tutorial to share with you in case you fancy whipping one up.

This is the fob I made:


IMG_5708
This side is made from the same yarn dyed Essex as I used in the tote and  I added some more 
perle stitching. The potential for customisation is huge...buttons anyone?

IMG_5709
The flip side I used a scrap of the lining fabric.

So do you want to make a fob like this? It's so easy I can guarantee it'll take me longer to write this tutorial than it will be for you to make one (and hey I type fast!).

If you do want to make one you will need:

A couple of scraps of fabric. (Work on the assumption your scraps are 5" square and you'll have plenty to work with.)

Some paper for a template. My hexie was 1.5" I used triangle template from here because it allowed me to decide exactly what size I wanted by eye. If you know what size you want your fob to be you might want to go straight to the hexagon paper generator they have.

A couple of scraps of Fusible or Non Fusible Fleece. I used non fusible fleece because I couldn't find any fusible scraps.  It's best to not use cotton batting as the fleece is a little bit firmer and makes an easier template to work with.

Key fob sized Split Ring. Not sure where I got mine from. Probably ebay. You can also rob an old key ring you might have.

Scrap of ribbon or tape at least 1/2" wide by 4.5" long. If you haven't got any ribbon or tape you could make your own just like you would binding.

Right lets get started!

IMG_5693
Cut yourself a hexagon template and cut your two scraps leaving about 1/4 - 1/2" seam allowance. It doesn't have to be exact but it is best to cut the scraps hexagon shaped.









Next use your template to trace a new template onto the fleece/fusible fleece scraps. You will need to do this twice.
IMG_5694

Pin the fleece template to the centre of the wrong side of one of the fabric scraps.  Then fold over two sides of the fabric as if you're going to baste an English Paper Piece template.  However, you're only going to sew the corners with a few whip stitches. Catch only the seam allowance and the fleece. Do not go through all the layers so that the stitches show on the front. Some people choose to baste their EPP this way. If you're one of those you'll find this easier.


IMG_5695

Move onto the next corner. You can do some really large stitches to get there instead of securing the thread cutting before moving on to the next one. Again just make sure you don't go through all the layers to the other side of the hexie.

IMG_5696

When you flip it over you want to see that there are no 'basting' stitches on the good side.

IMG_5697

You want to do this until you've fully basted both hexies.

IMG_5700

Now's the time to do any embroidery or quilting. I decided to do perle quilting on the linen side to match the tote bag I made.

Next place both hexies right sides together and secure with a pin. Starting at one corner whip stitch the two hexies together - just as you would if you were joining hexies together if doing English Paper Piecing.  Make sure you do a few stitches to secure when you start and again at each corner you want to do plenty of securing stitches.  You might find if you're using linen, that the template has shifted and one is slightly bigger than the other. If you find this match each corner and hold firmly as you stitch in between to get each side nice and secure and flat. It's amazing what you can fudge when sewing by hand!

IMG_5701

You want to sew round five of the six sides.  When you have these sewn up you need to turn inside out.  This is probably the fiddliest bit.  You want to get nice points and definition to your hexie, so use something like a chopstick to push out the corners (this is why it was important to do plenty of securing stitches at the corners points.)


IMG_5704

Grab your ribbon and fold in half.  As you can see I started with a length that was about 4.5". It's up to you how long you make this bit.

IMG_5705

Once you have your ribbon folded in half pop the ends into the side of the hexie you left open for turning. You want about half inch of ribbon inside the hexie. The folded bit of the ribbon should be sticking out at the end.  Top stitch the hexie opening closed, trapping the ribbon ends securely inside.

IMG_5706

I did a couple of rows of top stitching to make everything nice and secure.

Then stitch close to the other end of the ribbon a couple of times. You want to stitch just enough to be able to get your split ring through here. You could skip this step, but it does hold your split ring in the ribbon nice and securely and stops it from rolling around.


IMG_5707

Feed you ribbon end through the split ring and keep feeding it around until the split ring is fully attached to the ribbon. You now have a nice hexie key fob and it's probably not taken your more than half hour to make.

IMG_5708


Any questions or things you don't understand please leave a comment.











9 comments:

  1. I like this idea, thanks for sharing the process.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Super cute, I love the ribbon!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Well done you for a great little tutorial.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ooh lovely - perfect for the 'C' word!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Great little tute Jan and I love your fob!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Great wee project. Thanks for sharing it.

    ReplyDelete
  7. awesome little tute!!! love it! x

    ReplyDelete
  8. What a wonderful idea - thanks for a great tutorial!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking the time to leave a comment. I read every single one and love hearing what you have to say. I do my best to reply to every comment. Although sometimes that's not possible. :-)