Wednesday, 24 October 2012

Pondering while I'm waiting for the Postie

I am expecting quite a few bits of fun mail at the moment so the first thing I check on when I arrive home is the post pile.  Today the fabrics I ordered last week from Pink Castle Fabrics arrived.  I can't believe how quickly they arrived. Especially as an order I placed from the UK for something has still not arrived and that was placed earlier! All the more frustrating as their postal charges were not cheap! But anyway this is what I snagged in the 25% off sale over at Pink Castle Fabrics. I'm happy with what I did get and wish I'd got a few other things while I was there (there was another item that turned out to be out of stock when I'd placed the order). Still mustn't be greedy.

Falling off the wagon

While I've been waiting for my other mail to arrive I've been pondering wadding. I know it's not the most exciting thing to day dream about but buying wadding for me is right up there with buying thread. I really don't like having to when I could be spending that money on fabric. That said I'm almost out of wadding (thanks to the whole frankenwadding episode when doing Mum's Christmas quilt.) If I see a good deal I'll sometimes stock up. But it does seem to have become very expensive in the last 18 months, no doubt due to some cotton crisis. Anyway, where do other UK quilters buy their wadding? And do you find it's better to buy pre-packed (which is what I've normally done) or buy it by the metre? Am I missing a trick and is there some fab place to get wadding in the UK without breaking the bank or finding you need to store a massive, expensive roll of it?

The other thing I've been pondering is the whole Go! Baby v. Sizzix. Do I need either? Should I be putting one on my Christmas list and if so which one. I am not great at cutting. It's the bit I'm the least accurate with and why I don't attempt things like drunkards paths or apple cores. I tried my hardest to win a Go! When they were being handed out all over blog land like smarties, but alas it wasn't to be. Now I see a few people have Sizzix and maybe that's the way to go. Bottom line should I be putting one of these on my Christmas list or do they take up too much space and are they the quilting equivalent to a bread/ice cream maker (ie. people get them, use them once and then stick them in the back of the cupboard never to be used again?)

And if I don't put one of these cutting machines on my Christmas list and don't ask for my body weight in wadding is there anything else useful I haven't got I should be asking Santa for?

19 comments:

  1. I have a Go. I don't use it. It seems I never have the right die for the project at hand. If however, you hate cutting and can get a die that is sized to be useful to you it would be a good investment.

    Batting is expensive everywhere. Can't help you with that. Do try the disable batting tape. It lets you fuse left over bits of batting together so none goes to waste.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nice fabric post. Cannot help with the Sissex v Go dilemma as I have neither. As for wadding, I tend to buy as I go. Di x

    ReplyDelete
  3. I buy most of my wadding from Asding and get it off the roll rather than in packs...I haven't bought any in about 6 months so haven't noticed the price rises. I have no idea about Go vs. Sizzix but I'm sure someone will be along soon that can help! Love your new fabric, especially the herringbone!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Laura Jane has the Go! and the Sissix and she says the Sissix is better. I use my Go! for drunkard's path blocks and love that. I use my hexie cutter to cut the papers as really the fabric does not have to be perfect but the papers do. I bought my last wadding from Annie. Before that from my lqs. Easier to purchase from Annie but no idea where is best for price.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I have a Go!Baby which I use occasionally. It's fabulous for cutting curves, triangles and hexies. I do have square dies too but I tend to cut straight lines with my rotary cutter as it's less wasteful.
    I'm one of those people that bought a huge roll of wadding. I think it is totally worth it in terms of cost effectiveness if you have the room to store it. Mine spends some time in the house and some in the boot of the car ;) I love that I always have a big piece of wadding as soon as I need it....I don't like waiting for the postie to bring me a package when I want to to get on and quilt.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Love the fabric that has arrived. I am really lucky as we have a fabulous shop about a 10 min walk away, but I agree: its very expensive! My last 2 quilts I have not used wadding and used a lovely fleecy blanket at backing and wadding. Works perfectly: I will let you know about the durability: hopefully in about 10 years :-)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Lovely post!
    I have a Go Baby which I won, would never have bought one. I use it infrequently but did buy the 5" charm die which I use when making charm packs for my shop and am very glad of it!
    I buy wadding from Creative Grids once you've ordered once you get 10% off for life, found it to have a better selection and price than Asdings.

    ReplyDelete
  8. So I have both a go and a Sizzix. Hand on heart, the Sizzix is better. There's a greater range of dies, they cut better and more accurately, and the protective cutting mats don't fall apart. I use mine for cutting weird shapes; drunkards path, hexagons etc but I also use it for cutting 2.5" squares from scraps. Or squaring up blocks. Email me if you want more info!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I have a Sizzix (just about to mention it on the blog), today I did pinwheel HSTs without any trimming!!
    I love it, it's a big bit of kit, but it is not flimsy like the Go seems to be.

    I used to get wadding from Mandy's Simply Solids, or Brighton Sewing Centre online. Today I ordered a pre-cut pack off some little online shop as I wanted quick and cheap.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Thanks for this post Jan, the comments have been very useful to me too! I want a 12.5" ruler for squaring blocks for Xmas but looked at one today £22! I don't think I'll be asking hubby now, I'd rather have the money fr fabric, after all I've been getting on fine without one. I to need batting, a lot of it! So many projects waiting on it, just can't afford any right now. Oh and my postie should up be giving something to your postie ASAP because I posted it yesterday!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I have used asding and was very impressed with their service, most of the country had shut up buisness due to the snow but my order still managed to arrive within 48 hrs. The waddopedia thing they have on their site is also useful.

    Also all the chat about cutting machines has made me wonder if I could use the go/sissix quilting dies on a cuttlebug? Anyone tried?

    ReplyDelete
  12. I think you would love the hexie dies that are available. I've never tried the go, but am pleased with small projects with the Sizzix. Great for applique. I used to get my wadding from Cotton patch but now I get it wholesale for my classes. I get through tonnes of the stuff! Jxo

    ReplyDelete
  13. oh the waiting for the postie drives me mad. I do get frustrated that parcels form overseas can come incredibly quickly yet UK ones can sometimes take ages.

    I've not looked for wadding for a while now but in the past I've bought pre cut packs Quilters Dream from Cottonpatch, not speedy delivery but the price was good and the wadding is lovely.

    I have a sizzix and only have the 5" charm die but I have used that a lot as I hate cutting. The dies can be expensive but I'm pretty sure you can use some of the Go dies on the sizzix too.

    ReplyDelete
  14. I love the fabric you chose from PC. I don't have either Go or sizzix so can't help you on that one - but your comment about wadding was interesting as I have been asking the same question. It is so expensive and I always have to add £15 to the price to get it here. I've just ordered from Annie too. I'll be reading your comments.

    ReplyDelete
  15. I have the Sizzix Big Shot, but only because I originally bought it for jewellery making and cutting paper shapes several years ago. I only have the one quilting die (but other bigz dies work as well- I have a flower shape that works that isn't a special quilting one). So far I've only used it to cut my scraps into 2.5" squares, I wouldn't use it for cutting squares from strips though because I don't like the waste it produces.

    Wadding wise I can't really help but I will watch the comments with interest- I get mine from the LQS and it's a cheap factory outlet place but it's mostly the horrible thin polyester stuff. Still it's worked OK for me for a while but I do prefer cotton now, especially if QAYG-ing.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Oh and your christmas list may need a rotary cutter sharpener on it to save money on new blades- I think I will be asking for one if I don't get one this weekend and also a truecut cutter which will be better for my wrist!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Lovely fabric choices!
    When I had a bit of money I bought a half bolt of wadding from New Threads, it is expensive but works out MUCH cheaper than buying pre packaged. They only have polyester at the moment but it is very soft.

    ReplyDelete
  18. I did win a Go and have to confess that I haven't used it. I like rotary cutting - that's my excuse...

    ReplyDelete
  19. I have the "Go". It was a gift and I really enjoy using it when I get to... It's not perfect but for what I was doing it was very helpful. I know the Sizzix was getting better reviews..

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking the time to leave a comment. I read every single one and love hearing what you have to say. I do my best to reply to every comment. Although sometimes that's not possible. :-)