Thursday, 15 November 2012

Mañana for Sewing

Ok, so there is no sewing today either as I went out straight from work again.  I was a woman on a mission. Top of my mission list (Unless you're Chief; then it was buying Franks Strawberry Flavoured Diabetic Ice Cream from Waitrose) was to track down some vintage sheets for the vintage sheet swap.  It doesn't officially start until January, but I rarely go to places where there are charity shops so I thought I'd best get looking now.

Having seen Judith's fab quilts made from vintage sheets I've had the urge for a quilt like that myself.

I went in three charity shops. Mum was with me. Completely perplexed by my mission: You want to buy used bedding from a charity shop? You're going to what? You're going to cut up said used bedding and swap it for other cut up used bedding with people on the Internet. There was a bit of head shaking and looking at me like I might have taken leave of my senses. And to be fair put like that even I can see why it might sound bonkers.

Anyway, back to the charity shops. The first one I ventured into was Cancer Research.  I'd been in here previously. Friendly staff, a pleasant smelling shop (ie it didn't smell as Chief would say: Like a Pensioners Sofa.) and a great place to stock up on pretty great value greetings cards. I also managed to find a cookery book I've often perused, but never owned for the bargain price of £2.00. But not a curtain, sheet or duvet in sight.


Charity Shop Buys

Then there was Oxfam.  Not a big fan of Oxfam Charity Shops I have to say. Far too expensive and in the case of a local Oxfam Book Shop the staff always make me feel like they think I'm going to stuff a couple of paper backs up my jumper and make a run for it...  Oxfam did have some bedding and curtains hanging from trouser hangers. Couldn't see any prices, but nothing was suitable in the least.  

The last shop was...I can't actually remember. It had tonnes of clutter outside the shop and inside it definitely could have done with some air freshener  Not quite Eau De Urine but definitely not pleasant. They too had some home furnishing at the back of the shop, again nothing suitable. 

So then it was off to Waitrose to get frustrated and upset because every obnoxious, snooty shopper in a 10 mile radius must have decided to do their shopping this afternoon.  

Tomorrow I think I'll stay home and sew. 

13 comments:

  1. cracking up at your impression of your mum!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Agh how frustrating, smelly shops are the worst but smelly shops with no vintage sheets? that sucks! Have a great day tomorrow

    ReplyDelete
  3. At least you came home with a book and some cards.... And hopefully not smelling of oap and cabbage. Haha and just to rub it in some more... I have already found my quilt cover for swapping!

    ReplyDelete
  4. You cannot find nice sheets round here for love, money or a strawberry cream, or whatever it is old people eat x

    ReplyDelete
  5. Bwahahaha, your mum may have a point ;o)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Well you will have to brave more charity shops in your quest. You can't let your mum think that you are sane! Di x

    ReplyDelete
  7. Some days you are just meant to stay in bed!

    ReplyDelete
  8. No nice sheets up here either :-( One nice expensive charity shop and an eau de piss... Same all over then eh.

    ReplyDelete
  9. There is a dearth of second hand shops where I live and if I ever did find any vintage sheets they would likely be VWU (very well used). I agree with your mom on the futility of using VWU sheets in a quilt.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I have no luck either, the charity shops round here are all overpriced and I think they simply "rag" all the bedding as no one other than us quilting weirdos would buy used sheets. Car boots and those little scruffy non-chain, wiffy charity shops are the best places to look. The house clearance places are no better, because they don't sell junk anymore. These days they deal in vintage" goods. Happy hunting!

    ReplyDelete
  11. todays plan sounds much better to me! OTHER PEOPLE are always getting these bargins ... I seem to be at home on the day they go out x !! lol x better luck next

    ReplyDelete
  12. Oh Bummer! Don't give up looking! Jxo

    ReplyDelete
  13. You're too funny at the moment!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking the time to leave a comment. I read every single one and love hearing what you have to say. I do my best to reply to every comment. Although sometimes that's not possible. :-)