Monday, 19 November 2012

Modern Christmas Decor

Someone asked me on Facebook how long it took to make something like the red quilt. I find it really hard to gauge the time it takes me to make stuff because sometimes I have a really haphazard means of working. My sewing machine is set up in the adjacent dining area of my living room. It's not quite open plan, but it has no door between the two. It's not unheard of, say, for me to only sew on my machine during the commercial breaks, whilst I'll sit on the floor pinning or tinkering on the living room floor between ad breaks. In the case of making the red quilt I was also working simultaneously on the table runner for the Modern Table Runner Swap.


Runner Pieced
The top here is pieced but not ironed!

I'm really pleased with how this has turned out so far. The scrappy border really lifts it, as I thought the three stars on their own were looking a bit flat. I have next to no modern Christmas fabrics so, as with the red quilt, I've opted for Christmassy images: The stars, and a colour scheme that says 'Christmas'.  Red and green and to keep it fresh and modern some aqua.  To me the key thing in any design for this swap was 'Modern'. I think if anyone was expecting me to use the traditional Christmas fabrics I have shoved at the back of my fabric drawers, they would have entered a traditional table runner swap or a swap that didn't specify - right?

Something I've realised about my style as far as quilts go, is I get the most satisfaction making simple quilts. Quilts I don't run out of steam with during the making. I think that's another bonus of joining bee's - I can try out blocks I'd never want to make a whole quilts worth of. If you use the right fabric - whether they're scraps or precuts or whatever - it's about letting the fabrics do the talking for me, rather than the intricate piecing. 

What do you prefer making quilt wise? 

The next job, in true multitasking style will be to baste and quilt both this and my red quilt. I'm on track to meet the deadline. Phew!

13 comments:

  1. Loving the star runner. I think that colour can convey a theme without using specific material. So when are you going to get the star quilt made with the stars from the hipBee? Lol. Di x

    ReplyDelete
  2. Me loves a scrappy border and me loves your runner! Totally agree about the Christmassy fabric thing btw.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This looks fab, christmassy in its tone if not its fabrics per se. I'm not sure that this would ever go away if I had one!

    ReplyDelete
  4. the border really finishes it off x

    ReplyDelete
  5. Looking great Jan!

    Sometimes I like the fabric to stand out, sometimes the pattern, sometimes it is both and now I'd really like a quilt that was all about the quilting!

    ReplyDelete
  6. For big quilts it definitely has to be quick & simple! I'm happy to try different things on minis though, & can totally see how a bee would be a good way to experiment. Love your table runner!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Lovely!
    Next quilt I make will be just sewing layer cake squares together I reckon - The Retro Flowers have done my head in completely!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oh man, I hate those piece of string questions! Looks great though :o)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Love that scrappy border. It frames the stars really well. Good luck with the quilting. jxo

    ReplyDelete
  10. Your star runner is beautiful and certainly has a Christmasy feel!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Your runner is looking fantastic, and you are right about the Christmas fabric. Leanne made mine last year, and it is one that could be used all year, but also looks very festive

    ReplyDelete
  12. loving that runner and all the gorgeous colours! I prefer simple quilts too nothing too whacky and like to add modern twists with fabric choices to otherwise more traditional blocks I think!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking the time to leave a comment. I read every single one and love hearing what you have to say. I do my best to reply to every comment. Although sometimes that's not possible. :-)