Sunday, 18 November 2012

Not the Sunday I had Planned

366-323 18 November 2012
Excuse the shadowy pic. Was trying to make the most of the sunshine.

The Red/Christmas Quilt Top is done.  I have sorted the backing, but not taken a photo of that. When I've done the scrappy border for the table runner I showed you in the last post I can baste this and and the table runner and get quilting. Not 100% settled on the quilting of this, so open to suggestions. 

Given that I actually only bought two fat quarters of red fabric specifically for the front of this quilt (and one half yard which is going on the back now) it seemed I could rustle up more red than I realised from my stash. Although now my reds are only down to some old fashioned Christmas fabric and scraps! 

I was not going to be sewing today. Nope not a stitch was planned for today as Chief was coming down as soon as he'd taken parade this am.  When I woke up and eventually rolled over and looked at my phone I saw I had a missed call from him. When I rang him thinking maybe he'd got away earlier than expected, it turned out to be the complete opposite.  He'd been to hospital after having a 'turn' in the breakfast queue. Which turned out to be a diabetic hypo. He only remembers feeling light headed. The person he was talking too had thought he was having a heart attack or something and rushed him to hospital.  This has meant no Chief coming down here as he's still not 100%. I made the most of my extra time to get on with some sewing. It's not the same as spending the day with him and I feel bad that I'm not better at driving long distances because it wasn't like I could go and look after him. No idea when I'll get to see him now. I think making the quilt top made the best of a bad job.

I hope you've all had a great weekend and I'd best get on with that scrappy border! 


13 comments:

Nicky said...

Sorry you missed out on getting together Jan but you do seem to have profited from the time!

Love your Christmas reds! I'd quilt on the diagonal making some Christmas kisses on your blocks!

Sarah said...

Hope Chief is feeling much better soon and that you are able to make up for lost time together. You'll have to acclimatise yourself to the long journeys so that you two can get to see much more of each other.

Charlotte said...

bah! I hope he feels better soon :-(

Catherine said...

Oh no, what a shame, hope he is feeling better soon. Loving the red quilt

Judith, Belfast said...

Oh what a bummer! Hope Chief is ok. How about some diagonal lines quilted through your squares? Or you could go constellation style (random straight lines cutting through from all directions). Jxo

Second Chance Tan said...

Shame he didn't make it down.... but I am loving those reds, makes me realise I don't have much red at all. Looking forward the the next photo of this xx

Flying Blind... said...

Oh poor Chief! The quilt top looks fab though xxx

Susan Standen said...

Hope Chief makes a rapid recovery. The quilt top looks fab but I know given a choice you would rather have had the Chief than sewing time.

Collette said...

poor chief! hope you get some time together real soon! loving that red beautiful x

Archie the wonder dog said...

Your quilt is gorgeous! Hope Chief is feeling better x

Katy Cameron said...

Oh bugger, hope he's feeling 100% again soon!

Annabella said...

Oh Jan that's horrible. Hope he's feeling better and that you get some time together soon. The Marrakech quilt (I've renamed it) is looking beautiful :-)

Janet said...

Too bad you couldn't get together with Chief - it seems that you're often missing out on seeing him. Hope he is better soon. Your red and white quilt is very Christmasy! I contributed all my red fabrics to a red and beige quilt that a group of friends and I were making for a retiring co-worker one time, and afterwards I had nothing but little bits left. But I have since replenished my reds :)