Saturday, 17 November 2012

Scarlet

I have actually spent most of the day sewing. The mojo returned late last night when I started a new project. I blame that Pin-it-to-win-it competition on Pinterest, that I didn't win by the way. But I did fall in love with the bundle and namely the colour red. I would have bought the bundle but I was itching to get sewing and it will take too long for it to arrive from the US. Especially as I am itching to make a Christmas quilt.

No surprise that when I was buying fabric for the Low Volume Charm swap a couple of red lovelies fell into my basket too. I have to say I'm not usually a fan of red quilts. I love the colour and often wear it. Particularly in winter. I even have a bright winter red coat. The sort of coat that stops traffic. (Which I find especially useful if I'm crossing the road at the time...) What I'm not normally drawn to is red in quilting.  As a result my own stash is woefully short of red fabrics. In fact to assemble this quilt I've had to turn out draws and hunt high and low for reds that will be suitable. As a result this is not patchwork-by-numbers kind of quilt. It's a simple quilt with a story.  For example there is a Wonderland charm square that Reene sent me as part of the Pay-It-Forward she did on her blog; Some left over scraps of red fabric I'd originally won when Kerry had a give away.  There is some left over It's a Hoot from Mum's special quilt; A charm cut from a free Spoonflower Swatch.  I also raided the rainbow charm swap pile for some reds and also a Summersville Charm pack. There is also some Sherbet Pips that were destined for a Christmas quilt a few years back and after a couple of cutting accidents, has been used to make a baby quilt already this year.


Seeing Red

Someone once told me that if you save fabrics for just the right project you become a fabric hoarder. I don't agree with this. I am loving raiding my stash for reds, precious texts and Lake House Dry Goods fabrics that will work so well in this project.  I'm happy to use any of them - even precious ones because this is the perfect project for them. And to get this to lap sized I'll need every bit of red I can lay my hands on.  Happily I have some red Summersville and some Bliss I can back the quilt in. With a bit of work I can have a Christmassy lap quilt to form part of my holiday decor.

And on the subject of Holiday decor I have started the runner for the swap.  I was good and sewed the stars before any red squares were sewn together. I'm thinking it needs a scrappy border? Oh and if I do perle and machine quilting I should do the hand stitching first, right?


Three Wonky Stars

So how's your weekend stitching up?


18 comments:

  1. The red quilt is nice. I too lack red in my stash so I am taking note. Di x

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love love love that new quilt Jan! I made a last minute Christmas quilt last year and it had been used every day since! I've grand plans to make the girls a quilt each to go on their beds for Christmas but I've so much I must finish first I doubt I'll get there!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I usually do any hand quilting last, but it depends on where you are putting it. If it is just decorative quilting, leave it to the end. Love your reds quilt and your runner is shaping up beautifully. Jxo

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love the quilt and the runner. You are on a roll!!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Testing my commenting status, Jan.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I don;t normally 'do' red, I don't like it with other colours, but just reds looks awesome!

    ReplyDelete
  7. You have done loads, and I love them both.I made a Christmas quilt last year with the charms from emilys swap-and its been out all year

    ReplyDelete
  8. My kids have Christmas quilts but they may need updating as the have grown up and cute cats in Christmas hats and Santas may not go down so well now! This looks great for a subtle Christmas fix!

    Great work on the runner - I'd machine quilt first I think! But have never done both together though I have a quilt I want to do both on!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Yay for the red assembly bringing back your mojo. When I got home from my gran's birthday dinner tonight I pulled the scraps for my placemats, let's just hope the roofers don't turn up at 7:30 am again tomorrow like they did this morning!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Lake House Dry Goods are some of my favorite prints! Glad your mojo is back.

    I just finished a fun mini, hope to work on something bigger tomorrow.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I love the reds together. Looks Christmassy - but not.... So you could use it all year.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Yea it's back - did it seem a little worse for wear after the cocktails? A red bundle may have fallen in to my basket over at Pink Castle yesterday - damn those Pop Up sales! The new quilt looks amazing and I love the runner. Woo hoo!!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Your quilt is going to be gorgeous! I'm the opposite, I never wear red and don't have any red in the house yet am curiously drawn to it in fabrics, and have quite a stash of it now. I really ought to make myself a red quilt too! Rx

    ReplyDelete
  14. You know I am a fan of reds, the combo of all those shades and prints together is gorgeous!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Your new quilt is gorgeous, as are the stars! I think I'd do the machine quilting first but I think it depends on how much of each type you're doing...

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking the time to leave a comment. I read every single one and love hearing what you have to say. I do my best to reply to every comment. Although sometimes that's not possible. :-)