Thursday, 29 November 2012

The Good Stuff

So where were we last? Ah, yes. I was contemplating a dessert that never was and having myself a Pity Party.  But I'm over all that because the trouble with having Pity Parties is, it's best to keep them short. Otherwise you'll never get invited to any real parties or have any fun friends left at all... And as it turns out it was probably as well I didn't make the dessert as someone at the party has an allergy to a key ingredient.

I won't bore you with the medical details. I'm a bit better but not 100% yet. Not really anywhere close. I've been for a blood test today and will know more when I have the results of that.  I was also signed off work on Monday for the week. Although I've had to go in each day to collect work I can do at home. Thanks to the IT techy person setting me up some remote access I can sit on my sofa and see my work desktop from home.  Really amused someone when they were alone in the office and paperwork started churning out of the printer and it wasn't them! They even phoned me to tell me. Yeah, technology is clever. I just told them it was magic.

However, since I got ill there has been some definite rays of sunshine in some otherwise grey days.   First off I received in The Scrappy Swap. It was a complete surprise as I must have been the first in the group to actually receive, so I'd hadn't even thought about it coming. This came a week last Monday and I could have blogged about it in the last post, but I didn't want me feeling sorry for myself to over shadow this gorgeous stuff.


The highlight of my day.

For those of you that haven't taken part in the swap we had to make a small scrappy goody and include a fat quarter of scraps - which didn't have to be designer, but good quality and should reflect our partners tastes. Then finally we had to include a small local item which could be something foody or a postcard of our location.  I got the above bundle of goodies from Catherine. Which some of you have probably guessed already when you spotted the preserves from her part of the UK!

Catherine hadn't revealed the side of the pouch you can see in the above pic, as she thought the scrap of fabric with the Eiffel Tower on it might be a complete give away for me.  And I admit that every time I see something Parisian in a swap I assume it's for me. Chief and I still haven't had our trip to Paris but we're optimistic it will happen next year!

I may not have been able to meet up with Susan last weekend, but she did manage to lead me astray when she blogged about this Etsy shop and the wonderful Washi tapes they sold. I'd been looking for some for a while but they always seemed to be for sale in the US and once you added in postage they ended up being jolly expensive tapes. I am hoping I may find a couple of these in my Christmas stocking. But I thought I'd photograph these all stacked up. The sellers were brilliant to deal with.

Pretty Tape.

Then today just as I was leaving the house to go and have a blood test I nearly stepped on a parcel left in my back porch.  Recently I won a giveaway Laura had on her blog for some chocs from Trufflepiglet. It was so great they turned up today as knowing I could open them when I got home from the surgery made them an extra special treat.


My creation

Now I confess sometimes when I've been bought handmade chocolates I think: Oooh great packaging, great looking chocolates - and then I eat them and think. Oh. They look a lot nicer than they taste. These Trufflepiglet chocolates are the complete opposite. They actually taste even better than they look. I'm rationing them (as well as sharing with my Mum - I'm nice like that.).  See that top stripey one? That's one of two I've had so far and it's Pear Schnapps. Yummerty-Yum-Yum!  

The other great thing about the selection is Trufflepiglet include a chocolate menu. So many times I've been offered an artisan chocolate with no idea what the flavour is. At least with a menu if there was one I didn't fancy I'd know to give it a swerve and leave it for someone who did like that flavour. It also means you know exactly which flavours to re-order...

My Mum is a real sweet/chocolate connoisseur.  She never puts on weight despite her ability to quite easily demolish pounds of chocolate and sweeties given the chance.  She too often finds chocolates look nicer than they taste. But she has already dropped hints about us ordering more when these run out. When I say hints. It's probably not a hint if you ask directly for more to be ordered is it?  Did I mention she was almost dribbling on the laptop when she saw the pictures of chocolates on the website!

So you see even when life is less than perfect.  Even when it would be easy to continue with the Pity Party because of all the things in life that are not right.  There are usually little things to remind you that there are always things to be grateful for. Always things to make you smile. Things to make you hopeful. 






16 comments:

  1. I hope you feel better soon and I am sure those two parcels helped to brighten your day.
    xxx

    ReplyDelete
  2. Working from home! Oh don't do too much, you have fabric to stroke xxx

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hmmmm, those truffles look yummy. Glad you are starting to feel on the mend x

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great to hear you are mending - parcels of nice stuff always help! There will be one from me soon!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Lots of wonderful goodies there to cheer you up! Continue getting well.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Awesome mail day sweetie! And thanks for inspiring me to go ahead and get some washi tape of my own :-)

    ReplyDelete
  7. mmmmmmmm chocolate! They look lovely! Glad you are feeling (almost) better x

    ReplyDelete
  8. Just catching up on my blog reading - so sorry to hear you have been poorly and what a shame missing out on Susan's do. Hope you are well on the way to recovery no doubt aided by those chocs.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hi Jan sorry to hear you have been feeling poorly this weather. It is rotten and mind not work too much from home as you are signed off!!!! great packages and the chocs are amazing looking too. xx

    ReplyDelete
  10. Glad you've had some nice post to take your mind off your lurgy - hope you feel better soon xx

    ReplyDelete
  11. What lovelies you got, and just at the right time too! Hope you bounce back soon! Jxo

    ReplyDelete
  12. Personally I'd have denied all knowledge of how the printer was printing, just to really mess with them ;o)

    Hope you start to feel better soon, and those fab parcels perked you up a bit!

    ReplyDelete
  13. I love the postman...... Looks like you got some great deliveries there. Don't rush back to work too quick!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Those chocolates do look delicious. What flavor was the pig!.?

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking the time to leave a comment. I read every single one and love hearing what you have to say. I do my best to reply to every comment. Although sometimes that's not possible. :-)