Saturday, 3 November 2012

Two by two

Today I made two of these.

  P1130200 
Forgive me the crap photos it's late!

 If you saw the pouches I made yesterday you could be forgiven for thinking that I'm establishing some sort of hand make Ark, and am making two of everything to put in it. The reality is just like yesterday I made one of these for a swap and one for a friend for Christmas. In Bee a Brit Stingy we decided to do a Secret Santa. We all have to make a fabric basket as per the fab Pink Penguin Tutorial and add to this scraps and goodies.  As we're a stingy group (in the nicest possible way you understand!) we have to be frugal and inventive in what we include.  The idea of a mini fabric hamper was so inspired I just had to make one for a friend too.


P1130199
Excuse the puffy lining. I still haven't sewn up the turn through gap. 

I tried out two different fancy stitches to add some detailing to the handle. You probably can't tell very well from the pictures, but one has joined stars, the other snow flakes.  I was sort of going for a red/aqua theme which always seems Christmassy to me.  It ended up more pink, red and aqua because I'm not exactly blessed with a lot of red fabric.  I think it's nodding to Christmas without being so Christmassy you'd need to put it away the rest of the year. If my Bee a Brit Stingy partner doesn't seem keen I'll have two Christmas presents sorted!

15 comments:

Patchwork and Play said...

These are a great idea for the Christmas gift list! Did you use a particular tutorial?

Sarah said...

Lovely baskets! The Pink Penguin tutorial is a sure fire winner and this is a great idea for your swap's Secret Santa. I love good red fabric but it seems that it's quite hard to come by lately - mustn't be so popular among the designers. Been collecting what I can find for an eventual red and white quilt but it's slim pickings!!

Sarah said...

Lovely baskets! The Pink Penguin tutorial is a sure fire winner and this is a great idea for your swap's Secret Santa. I love good red fabric but it seems that it's quite hard to come by lately - mustn't be so popular among the designers. Been collecting what I can find for an eventual red and white quilt but it's slim pickings!!

Flying Blind... said...

They are great xxx

Liz DandeliondD said...

They are really gorgeous.
How could your partner not love one, especially filled with fabric scraps.

Blueberry Park said...

wow you're speedy!! They are very cute and I'm itching to make mine..(hoping to sneak off this afternoon)...

Catherine said...

They look fab. I need to get a move on with all of my stuff:have had visitors all week, so no sewing :-(

Nicky said...

Speedy Gonzalez! They look great - love the penguins and your bandana bears!

Great experimentation - is that you testing out the machine!?

Annabella said...

Oh those fabric baskets are great but I still haven't made myself one. Perfect for sticking little scraps in!

Judith, Belfast said...

These are cute and love the stitchy details on the handles. Jxo

Archie the wonder dog said...

They look wonderful!!

Katy Cameron said...

Hurrah, hurrah! (sorry, couldn't resist ;o) )

Just catching up on everything, so here's a potted comment history:

Get the Sizzix, far more dies and it's much sturdier

I buy my wadding by the metre from a guy that comes to the Scottish Quilt Festival 120" wide, pure cotton at £10/metre, much better value than the pre-packed stuff.

Congrats on the quiz win, and that's quite the pile of books too!

Love all the things you've been working on :o)

Sarah Lou said...

These are so cute, must add them to my to-do list of Xmas makes :D

Sheila said...

No need to worry - I love them both.

Di said...

My, you are quick off the mark! If I'm your secret partner then I will be a very happy bee, to receive one of these baskets. Di x